Mouse Trap (Jack and Mark)

A/N: My bad! Wattpad didn't update the status from draft to published, I should have checked that it successfully posted earlier

The pain was unbearable. To endure the uncertain inevitability of death was one thing, but to be stupid enough to get caught in a mouse trap was another. Mark's pathetic excuse was that he was so hungry to the point that he tried to steal cheese off the triggerpad, because he hadn't had the foresight to distribute the precious scraps he had remaining from the week before the houseowner left.

The human had been gone for two whole weeks; the first didn't seem all that bad, but then the second was when Mark realized that no human meant no groceries. Neither of them cooked, and a borrower going out of the house was certain death, nevermind lollygagging amongst dozens of humans in the grocery store to get more food. So by the second Thursday, Mark was scavenging cheerio crumbs from the hidden corners of dark rooms, and by Saturday his stomach was so empty that it felt like it was eating itself. That was when he turned to the temptation of the forbidden cheese: It smelled so good, so tantalizingly inviting, it didn't even matter if it was a little stale. Unfortunately, he had forgotten to take into account just how weak he'd gotten. When the trap suddenly went off, he could only watch as the metal went flying into his leg; he remembered hot searing pain, falling over, and then iron hot agony as his scream overtook the sickening crunch of a dislocation.

With his leg caught in the trap, the borrower had quickly lost track of time. Everything was blurred together by the pain into a meaningless passage of time. His condition had only grown worse, and now it was Monday morning. The warm sun greeted the silent, empty house with a warm smile, peeking through the windows with dapples of light. In the modern living room, the young yellow rays stretched over the activated trap. The borrower lay beside it, his leg still stuck under the metal bar at an unnatural angle. Crimson stained his torn pantleg, as well as the dark wooden floor beneath him. His breathing was shallow and slow, but he stirred a little when the golden light danced beyond his eyelids.

He slowly opened his eyes. He blinked once, twice, and tried to focus his blurry vision. He felt so weak, even laying down he was just so tired. His throat was as dry as sandpaper, and his entire being ached with mere existence. He tilted his head and spied his borrowing bag where he'd dropped it: Just out of reach, like the last times he'd looked. He felt so heavy... It was an effort just to keep his eyes open...

But even though he knew he needed to stay awake, Mark couldn't help but ask himself why. Why bother staying alive if he couldn't escape? If he didn't die now, then the human would just find him anyway, and then his story would be as tragic as all those borrowers were told as children to understand the importance of avoiding humans... At all costs.

Well, what a bang up job I did. Mark closed his eyes with a weak sigh. I deserve it, for being such an idiot. Whatever happens, I just hope no other borrowers get affected. Hopefully the houseowner will just kill me like regular vermin and move on in his life.

As the sun brightened with age and cast light through every room, Mark was on the edge of unconsciousness again when he heard keys suddenly jingle. A jolt of adrenaline made his slow heart flutter with dread. I'm dead. Oh I'm so dead. Oh please just let it be quick I'm so tired I'm so sick of hurting please...! The door in the foyer hallway swung open. In came the thudding footsteps. It was like a slow motion horror film. He could hear the large figure stomp on cluelessly into the house. The door slammed shut, and in came the human. Mark recalled his frightening demeanor: he was a pale brunette with a scruffy goatee, and incredibly blue eyes, and he looked so angry all the time, not to mention how deafening the man was. Just imagining all of the human's overwhelming energy focused on him sent a chill through the borrower's spine as he felt the houseowner approach.