Chapter 8: More Than Lab Partners

Y/N made her way back to her place that night, ready to call it a day, and ask her boyfriend to facetime.

She entered her bedroom after finishing up getting ready for bed.

"Facetime?" she texted Alex.

A few seconds later he responded, "sure thing baby, I'm just finishing up a few games and then I'll call you."

Y/N smiled at her phone, excited to talk to her boyfriend.

She hopped into bed and laid there on her phone, while waiting for Alex.

She scrolled through social media, like she always did before bed, and all of a sudden stopped.

'Unidentified Man Spider Helps Save Local Shopkeeper From Robbery'

She clicked on the twitter link and was brought to an article post and video footage of where she was a few hours ago.

Shit

She watched the video carefully, trying to make sure that the frame of the video remained focused on Peter and not anywhere near her.

Thankfully it was a twitter video, so it didn't last that long.

She finished watching it and sighed in relief.

But all of a sudden her phone began to buzz,

"Shit," she exclaimed, as she accidentally threw her phone up, now trying to catch it and not let it drop.

She dropped it under her bed, and pulled it from under.

She was excitedly eager to answer it, ready to talk to Alex, but saw that the caller ID was unknown.

Damn it Stark

"Hello?" She answered

"Talk to me about what happened tonight" She heard Tony begin.

Not even a greeting or anything, thanks Stark, love ya too.

"I spent the entire day with Parker, we were at his Aunt May's apartment, working on a project for school and-"

"About the robbery Y/N, not your date with him." Tony interrupted.

Y/N was taken back by the word usage, and how he referred to it as a date.

"I'm getting to that, and don't call it a date, I have a boyfriend." She responded, low key feeling like one of those 'I have a boyfriend' girls.

"anyways, eventually we were sitting on the roof, just talking, and as soon as we heard the sirens, he became extremely eager for me to leave. And so I did, but I saw him go back inside, crawl out of his window in the suit, and I followed him to the robbery. Mr. Stark, I watched the whole thing, and he's pretty good, he could use some work, and maybe a new suit, but he's not that bad."

"Great job kid, and you followed him back and saw him get back home?" He asked.

"Yes sir."

"Great, keep doing what you're doing. I'll be arranging some sort of approach to reach out to him soon, in the mean time, continue to investigate, you'll need to learn more about your partner for your next assignment."

wait. the fuck he just say?

"I'm sorry Mr. Stark, you said what now?" she said quickly.

"alright kid, you've got school tomorrow, get some rest." he said before cutting her off and ending the call.

She sat there shocked

My partner? No sir, I work alone, I'm sure whatever Stark needs me to do, I'm more than capable to do alone.

Y/N sat there for a second, thinking about her own thoughts, and reconsidered her opinion. She and Peter have been Lab Partners for a month now, and granted the first few weeks of working together were quite the adjustment, she felt like him and her were a potential genuine friendship.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the ping of her phone.

She reached for it, more calmly this time, and read the message from Alex.

"I lost the game and the entire tournament, not in a good mood right now"

Y/N sighed and rolled her eyes, she hated it when he got like this, especially over a video game.

"I'm sorry love, I'm sure you did your best, we can just facetime tomorrow." Y/N responded.

"ok. goodnight, love you" he texted back.

she sighed, and typed out, "goodnight, love you too"

she closed out her phone and laid in bed, she decided to continue thinking about what Stark meant.

She tried to drift off to sleep, but her thoughts and curiosity consumed her.

About 3 hours of her not being able to sleep passed, and it was 1 AM.

She was tired of not being able to stop thinking about it, so she decided to take a leap at easing her curiosity.

She pulled up her phone again and opened a chat with Peter.

"You up?" she texted.

She doubted he was still awake, unless he was finishing up the project.

a few seconds later, she heard her phone ping.

"Yup, just finishing up the project. Why are you still up? You should rest" she read.

"Can't sleep, how is it looking?" She responded.

A few seconds later she received a selfie of Peter with the poster board.

She smiled, twiddling her thumbs to respond.

"Pete you look exhausted, why don't you get some rest, maybe just wake up early and finish it up?"

"It's alright, I've been up anyways, so I might as well finish it." she cocked an eyebrow at the response.

"Why are you up besides the project?" she questioned, knowing the answer already.

She saw him type multiple times, then stop, then type again, knowing he was trying to think of something to say.

She decided to cut him off, "omg, did you see the thing on twitter about the superhero guy that stopped the robbery?"

"that was just here! and we saw the police cars right before it happened!" she faked, wanting to see his response.

"yeah, I heard about it, that's crazy." he said, trying to keep his responses short.

"alright Y/N, I think I'm gonna take up your recommendation and wake up early to finish it. See ya tomorrow partner!" he cut off.

Partner, oof. I'm back to where I started, trying to figure out what Stark is up to. Thanks Pete.