Chapter 23: Daydreams and Decisions

Peter waited on the sandwiches while Y/N was ripping her brains out in the bathroom.

Peter had felt a rush this entire weekend. It was overall quite the adventure, and Mr. Stark had let him keep the suit, so there's that.

Despite the mixed emotions towards his "partner," this weekend was probably one of the most awesome experiences Peter had.

"Order in!" Mr. Delmar called, queuing Peter to come to the counter to pick up the sandwiches.

"2 cookies, for you and your girlfriend, on me" Mr. Delmar smiled, giving Peter a friendly pat on the shoulder.

Peter's face warmed up, "oh-uh-ahem, s-she's not my- we're not-" Peter began to stutter, before Y/N walked out of the bathroom and met him at the counter.

"We all set?" she asked perkily, seeming to have cooled down.

Peter, still having a slight brush of pink over his face, nodded, "Y-yeah, yeah." he stammered, grabbing the bag of sandwiches and cookies.

They both thanked Mr. Delmar and walked out of the store, heading for a nearby park.

Y/N planted herself onto the bench, patting the spot next to her, urging Peter to sit down.

Peter did as told, and handed her the sandwich and cookie.

"So, what now?" Y/N asked.

"With what?" Peter asked back, mouth full.

"The Stark Internship?" she asked again, taking a bite of her cookie.

Peter thought for a second, trying to formulate what to say.

"Well, Mr. Stark said that he'll call me the next time he needs me." He answered honestly.

Y/N nodded, not really knowing what else to ask, without just straight up trying to convince him to give her a chance.

So Peter began to continue to ask Y/N about how her weekend back home was.

Y/N had made up the lie that she went to go visit back home for the weekend, and we all know that in reality, she was fighting right beside Peter in Berlin.

However, she was actually going home this coming weekend, thanks to Mr. Stark.

"How's Alex?" Peter asked, but then realizing what he had asked, and instantly regretted it.

Y/N smiled, "he's good. thankfully he wasn't in one of his moods while I was visiting."

Alex unfortunately didn't have the best communication skills, so during several periods throughout him and Y/N's relationship, if something was wrong with him personally, he wouldn't communicate it to her, act super moody, and basically take it out on her.

Peter nodded, "that's good...." he looked away, in any direction besides hers.

He felt a small part of his heart ache a bit, seeing her light up at the mention of his name.

It only really confirmed the reality of Peter's unfortunate situation even more.

Peter went into daydream, imagining what it would be like if Y/N and Alex weren't dating.

He would actually have a shot with her. In that perfect situation, he would somehow find the courage to ask her out.

And in that perfect situation, she would say yes.

He would eventually reveal to her that he was Spiderman.

And after nights on patrol, Peter would swing by her apartment, crawl into her window to surprise her.

Depending on how patrol would go, Y/N would naturally fix Peter up with any wounds he acquired. And then the two would spend the rest of the night talking about each other's days, Y/N in Peter's arms, with her nuzzled up against his chest, until they both fell asleep.

"Peter!" He heard Y/N exclaim.

Peter shook his head a bit and snapped back into focus, "huh?"

"I said, 'are you going to eat your cookie?'" Y/N repeated.

Peter looked down to the cookie in his lap, and looked over to hers, seeing that she already ate it.

"N-no, you can have it." Peter fake laughed, handing her the cookie.

Y/N smiled, gladly taking the cookie. "Thanks Pete." she munched.

Peter turned to her, watching her devour that cookie. Words couldn't describe how much Peter's heart burned, just watching her, sitting with her.

Granted, Y/N wasn't really paying much attention, crumbs falling here and there.

He watched her laugh at a few flocks of pigeons that flew there and back, trying to attack a man carrying a hotdog.

Peter laughed, still watching her. It physically began to hurt, not being able to tell her how he felt. He just liked her so much.

Peter didn't know how this feeling of overwhelm came to be, but he didn't want to fight it.

All he wanted to do, was grab Y/N's face, tell her how much he likes her, how she deserves so much better than what Alex gives her, and kiss her. He would then hear Y/N tell him that she felt the same way, and he would walk Y/N home. Hands intertwined with one another. He would stop by the door of her complex, and she would give him a kiss on the cheek goodbye.

But he didn't.

None of that happened.

And none of that was going to happen.

Peter gripped his chest unnoticeably, Y/N still dying about the pigeons.

He sighed, letting his hand slide down.

He finally looked away, and gathered his composure.

He needed to tell her how he felt, but not to win her over.

He needed to tell her, so he could get over her.

She'd reject him, because of Alex, and then it'd finally give Peter a reason to actually get over her.

If he didn't, he'd be torturing himself for the rest of their friendship.

And Peter didn't want to lose her as a friend.

Peter had made up his mind, tonight he would do it.

He would finally tell Y/N how he felt.