Chapter 11

First month of staying at Oaklagen, it was harmonious between the two friends.

Becky was staying at the Luna's quarters and Gulf made it out of the basement. Becky occasionally visited and they would catch up in Mew's house. It was wonderful for them. They shared experiences and how they were finding the place.

They had called home and video chatted with their parents. Gulf profusely apologized to his parents for making them worry. He promised he was coming back home just not right away. He was asked where he was but he lied and said at a friend's house. They had wanted to argue but Becky showed her face and promised to keep him safe. That had eased their worries and made the police cancel the missing person search.

Then came adjusting and settling in this forest. It was hard for people who grew up in a lavish life style. The difference was too much but they had each other and that was ok. The familiarity of each other's presence made it livable.

The second month was hard for Gulf. The pain in his heart worsened. He was spending most of the time alone. Mew was going through intense training. Mew went for training with his knights and patrons to build trust. They spend lots of time bonding and training to enable Mew to be comfortable enough to open his link to his.

After training and bonding with his pack members, his father had Mew have extra training   with him. The alpha made their wolves fight and bond. He tried communicating through the link and for it to remain open. He had his beta, Jules, assist him by constantly linking him. It was a special training. 

Because of his body pains and being exhausted, Mew didn't realize Gulf's pain. And when he was done with his trainings, his father instructed him to go see Becky and show her off by taking a romantic walk around the village.

Mew did so and people admitted seeing them walking together was so cute. They saw their smiles and the way their eyes sparkled walking slowly in the village. How could they not smile when they talked about Gulf? Mew mostly asked about Gulf and his past. How was he like as a child? How is he like now? What did he like? etc. and Becky provided all the details including the silly things Gulf did. It made them smile and Mew liked learning about Gulf this way since he didn't have enough time to be with him.

After taking a walk with Becky, Mew got updated on the baby at the Luna's quarters and by the time the day was over Gulf would be sleeping exhausted from crying.

Third month Becky was showing. Her hormones were wild and the person who suffered the most was Gulf. It started when she began to get annoyed by Mew's inquiries. Every single day he asked about Gulf. Never did he ask about her health or how she is adjusting to the situation. He never apologized for everything that happened to her. She started to take it out on Gulf.

It started small. Becky not showing up at their appointment so Gulf had to beg her to come. Becky ignoring him when they were talking. Then Becky stopped going to see Gulf altogether so Gulf had to go see her at the Luna's quarters. Next came forceful dialogues and some rude remarks during their conversations. Then she became just hurtful. Gulf stopped going to see Becky when she uttered a statement that broke his heart.

"It's like I'm the main chick and you're the hidden side chick so let's stay in our lanes."

Gulf didn't come out of the house anymore. Not with Becky prancing around the village as Mew's mate.

He called home and talked to his mother. She pointed out how he was not looking happy. He told her he was not happy. Gulf was open with his feelings. He felt lonely and alone in this unfamiliar place. His father jumped on the call said,

"But you have a home. You have a mother and a father. You have a comfortable life waiting for you. Son, you can come back. You don't have to tell us anything. Just come back home and I promise we'll love you more than we've loved you before. If that's even possible."

Gulf smiled and ended the call.

He broke down.

He wanted someone there with him. He wanted to be comforted. To be told it was going to be ok.  
He couldn't call Mew so he thought of Mild. He seemed reliable but he didn't know how to call him or where to find him. His heart broke again. He didn't know what he was doing there. Why he was there. What was his purpose?

Someone came barging in the house and Gulf got startled. He held his breath to not get detected. However the person still found a way to locate him. The door to his bedroom opened and Mild was there panting.

"Luna," he called surprised and Gulf who had been scared shitless lost it.

He bawled and Mild didn't know what to do. He went and sat  infront of him internally cooing at how childish he looked even when he was sad. He was just a pup Mild thought.

Without him realizing, he wiped Gulf's tears gently. Gulf flopped forward and Mild held him in his arms surprised. Gulf burst out with more tears and Mild comforted him.

Mew rushed in after hearing the loud cries and was surprised seeing the proximity of his mate and his beta.

"Beta!!!" He called in a disapproving tone.

Mild turned around surprised at seeing Mew there.

He took his time; gently pulled Gulf out of his arms and got up then stepped away. Mew came in and carried Gulf from the floor and that was Mild's cue to leave. Mew gently placed him on the bed and sat down too. Gulf stopped crying and sniffed the rest of his pain away. Mew tucked him in and looked at the door.

He was livid. He came out of the bedroom and saw Mild waiting.

"What's the meaning of this beta?" He questioned with underlying anger in his voice.

"Leader. I was doing some errands when I thought I heard Luna's link."

Mew scoffed. "You heard the human linking you?" That was offending. Why would Gulf link his beta when he would just link his mate? Besides, that was practically impossible.

"I might have misunderstood. It could have been  a hunch to check on him." Mild made excuses but he was certain he heard Luna's voice echoing in his link.

Mew went back in the room and saw Gulf already sleeping, occasionally sniffing and scrunching his face as if in pain.

As soon as he sat down to comfort him, someone was knocking at his door.

He opened the door,

"Leader, you're being summoned by your mate." A messenger delivered the message but his mate was in there sleeping and in pain.

Still, Mew left the house right away and went to see Becky. And just like that Gulf spent another lonely painful night.

It wasn't the beginning.

Neither was it the end.

More painful nights awaited.

Perhaps more painful days too.