5 more minutes • haitani ran

[revamped: June 25, 2022]

Ran Haitani may seem like the kind of guy who's a hopeless romantic, but how they were wrong.

As fake as it seems, it looks like he might gotten himself to like someone...someone he never thought he'd look in that way.

Sure, they were friends, she was attractive, her e/c eyes were beautiful....

But liking your best friend sure is hard.

The sound of clock ticking filled his room. He clicked his tongue, endlessly typing on his and Y/N's chat window. It's been almost three hours since she last chatted, and if he didn't know well, he'd thought she was fine.

But since they've been side to side for almost- 16 years? He doesn't know. It worries him occasionally when Y/N doesn't reply on his chats, taking the idea that she was never the type of person who doesn't go online in almost an hour.

He tapped his shoes, sighing again and again until he put his phone down on the table, leaning on the chair as he scoffed. A lot of questions filled his mind, slightly closing his eyes while he relaxed his fully body.

Just as he felt sleepy, a really loud knock was heard on the door- surprising the male as he woke awake, panting as he opened the door. There he stood, a panting and shocked expression painted on Rindou's face.

"..Rin..?" Left Ran's mouth, furrowing his eyebrows as he slowly tilted his head. Rindou took a deep breath,

"Y/N is on the hospital."

Ran's eyes widened. And the next thing he knew, he was already on Rindou's motorcycle, panting heavily when his heart was beating too fast. The two fastly drived off to the hospital, nervousness succumbing Ran's body as he entered the facility, quickly trying to find any hints on where Y/N was.

He found Y/N's mom, sitting on the chair while tears flood down her eyes. Ran quickly headed towards her and lightly patted on her back, comforting her.

"Can I ask what happened?" He gently asked, hoping not to overwhelm her too much. Y/N's mom sobbed, "Y-Y-Y/N... she's... she's going to die.."

The male felt his heart drop down to his stomach. Never- and he meant never, ever he thought he could hear that words together in a sentence. He blinked unconsciously, curiosity filling up his mind.

"What- What do you mean? What do you mean by that?" He continued to ask questions, completely shocked by the situation, feeling his heart start to hurt- tears threatening to leave his eyes.

Her mom couldn't answer anything, instead, she sobbed, and replied, "Go i-in that room."

He had never ever done someone's order so fast, opening the door faster than the speed of light, panting.

His heart broke.

There laid his one and only best friend, wires strapped across her pale body, lips chapped, her eyes fluttering as she met Ran's eyes. She couldn't help but painfully smiled at him, hoping he could see it even if she had an oxygen mask on her mouth.

"Y-Y/N.." His eyes gave up, tears finally streaming down his face as he ran up to her, holding her hand as tight as he can, sobbing on her arms. Y/N coughed and sighed. "H-Hello...idiot."

Hearing her voice was enough for him, knowing on her condition he might never hear it again, god it was his worst nightmare. He held her pale hands and caressing it with his thumb, never wanting to let go.

"Listen..I-I don't have much time left, I might even die seconds from now, so please.. let me speak.. just once, okay?"

Those words stabbed right on his heart, he'd rather die than hear her say those words again...It was too painful for him to take.

"D-Don't say that! You'll survive and be with me..be with everyone...be happy with me!" He was basically screaming words while crying at this point, and he didn't care less.

Y/N sighed. "Stop screaming..please, Ran. I....I love you, okay? I'm sorry..I couldn't tell it sooner."

It was fucked up. Confessing before dying was fucked up. If she could've told him her feelings sooner, she could've lived happy with him before she could die because of her disease. Knowing that she could've been with him before death...It hurts too much to bear.

Ran was speechless. Honestly..this was the most painful confession he got - knowing his beloved will die, hearing that she wanted to live with him even if it meant it wasn't forever-

What did she do to deserve this?

Ran stared at her. Those eyes he learned to love even in such a short time.. That face he always adored...This was the last time. The last time he'd ever see or hear it again.

"I-I love you, too." Was all he mustered up before he saw her smile, "I'm glad."

The next thing he heard was the monitor ringing across his ears... something he never thought he'll hear, watching his beloved leave him alone in a cruel world..

If only they had five more minutes.