Chapter 59

*weird duck noises*

"Yes, I'm sure. Natsu Dragneel is officially missing."

"Maybe he's taken a holiday?"

Makarov rubbed his temple, suppressing the urge to slap the facial hair off of the Mongolian Knight before him. It's been weeks since he noticed the boy's absence. Others in the guild had, too.

His children were in a confused frenzy. The guildhall was never so quiet before.

It made Makarov all the more troubled. He had to make a report with the council, as most of his children had said. He was going to report his absence in the beginning, anyway.

His stress levels exceeded the limit when Master Bob had sent word that Natsu never arrived. He just disappeared into thin air.

Makarov didn't know how to break the news to Lucy and her posse of newly found friends. He had imagined with her being with other dragon slayers, their scents would mix with hers, and she'd be more difficult to track down. He liked that detail more than the rest of the Dragon's Season.

Still...he had bitten her. Natsu would find her, somehow, some way. Unaware of the invisible pull to his...mate. Like a magnetic with the opposite pole, he would come to her. Inevitably, it was the way of the dragon.

Lucy had her protectors, and those felons, Makarov supposed. Cobra would sense him before he made any appearance.

A pang of guilt arose within his chest.

He had known Natsu all his life. Natsu truly had a good heart and mind.

"The boy is always here! And there aren't any requests missing. I have come to believe my child is missing, " Makarov answered firmly, narrowing his eyes at the knight. "I'm not asking much, son. Just to keep a lookout for him. I wish to know he's safe and alive."

The knight made a face, then it dropped, "Yes, Master Makarov. I'll have this report sent to the Council. I'm afraid I'm not of authority to have this processed immediately."

"As long as my request is sent out, that is all that matters."

"Yes, sir." The knight bowed and left the office.

It had Makarov thinking, honestly.

Natsu would rather fight ten thousand Vulcans than harm his friends, probably another thousand for Lucy.

The raw primitive a dragon slayer can possess just by learning ancient lost magic, it's unsettling. Terrible urges brought by the magic itself. Dragons were creatures of absolute power and were dominant in their day.

Mass beings of invulnerability. And of aggression.

Makarov, in his extension research, had found that not only could a dragon in heat overpower his mate quite effortlessly, but they release this...this...Makarov couldn't begin to describe what it was. A dragon in heat secretes this type of magic to nullify their partners' power. All the while nullifying his magic too, acting as a safety hazard so the dragon wouldn't accidentally hurt his or her mate during the whole process.

It would explain why Loke wasn't able to open his gate by force, Makarov distinctively remembered the spirit telling him this detail. His magic was Lucy's magic; they were linked.

He had so many questions left unanswered. So many theories on pages.

His children were victims of a lost magic cycle.

What a cruel fate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Damn, it's fucking cold."

"Language, please." Grimm was just about to blow a blood vessel.

For nearly ten hours, he'd seated with Taft. His punishment was very painful indeed. As an elite, and one of His Lady's most powerful fighters, his life and powers were coveted and a valuable asset to their cause.

He could say he was the only human alive with the uniqueness of Lunar magic, even having a talent for shadow magic as well.

Years under Lady Evanora, his experience exceeded tremendously. He was nothing before his Lady came to find him. Before, he was nothing but a mere slave to the Tower of Heaven. It was destroyed and the slaves had rebelled so unexpectantly, which led to his own escape.

It was only fate that led him to Lady Evanora.

Taft's vulgar ways kept Grimm on end. The boy was disrespectful and loud, it being an always with him. There was no end to his tomfoolery.

"When are we gonna get this chick?" Taft said impatiently.

"Milady tasked us with following the dragon slayer. He'll find her, no doubt." Grimm grunted, resisting the urge to roll his eyes.

"Yeah, but it's freezing."

"Perhaps that's what you get for wearing nothing but a cloak. Are you always this incompetentw, boy?"

"The cloak makes me look cool, old man." Taft clicked his tongue, peering at the snow-filled streets, realizing he couldn't see a certain head of pink. "Oh, shit! We lost him!"

"We should split up. He probably heard us."

"Do you know splitting up is always the dumbass move? I bet you're gonna die first." Taft smirked at Grimm sarcastically.

"Or would you rather go back to our domain to our lady we lost sight of the dragon?"

Taft had immediate shivers down his spine. "Splitting up is, then! I'll go topside!"

"What--" Grimm watched as Taft catapulted himself with magic up to one of the buildings' rooftop. His figure disappeared going over the ledge. "Stupid boy." The older man grumbled.

Citizens were spread out, chatting carelessly amongst themselves. Totally unaware of their surroundings, unaware of danger near them.  Grimm didn't particularly care about their well-being, non-wizards were better off remaining ignorant. 

Grumbling under his breath, the dark-haired man trudged through the crowd, attempting to follow the dragon's magic trail, with it going faint, it was quite difficult, but not impossible. If he could afford to break his composure, he'd off his Lady's enemies. 

"This dragon is going to be the death of me."