Chapter 7

Thunder rumbled as dark grey clouds gathered over Magnolia. Soon, rain poured down on the streets. People scrambled to get themselves out of the rain before they caught colds.

"Great! Rain is just what we need!" A man coughs out sarcastically before he sniffs his runny snot back into his nose, running into a shop for shelter.

Makarov paid the vendors no mind as continued down the street with his umbrella shielding him from the downpour. It was the kind of rain that Juvia gives off subconsciously when she is depressed or upset.

Something in the air felt off, Makarov sensed. He could feel it in his gut. Something definitely was not right. He felt it in his aging bones. He wondered if Loke was waiting for him to arrive?

~

"..filia!" The concerned echoes of a mans' voice etched through my mind.

A hand nudged my shoulder roughly, shaking me back into dreaded consciousness. I honestly don't know what happened next, but I heard flesh against flesh and a surprised grunt.

I shot up, snapping my eyes open, not really preparing myself for what was to come.

"Glad you came to, Miss Heartfilia." My vision shot to the man who spoke.

"Lahar?" I narrow my eyes, confused. How did--? Oh. Right. I fainted.

"Do we really have to stay with this one? She's a nuisance." The male feminine voice of Midnight was haughty and rude.

I glare at him as he played with his braided strand of hair.

"Speak for yourself, jerkface." I spat at him.

He seemed indifferent to my retort. He probably didn't care at all.

Out of my peripheral vision, I saw the other guy. Cobra. As usual, he has his arms crossed, had that displeased frown, and that entire "I'll kill anyone who even breathes my oxygen" vibe came off him like water.

"And I will." Cobra suddenly spoke up, opening up the eye that didn't have a scar tearing over it.

I couldn't decide if it was the fact that I forget he could read minds, or that he just suddenly spoke out that startled me.

"I don't read minds, you bimbo. I hear them." He directed at me harshly.

I don't say anything, but instead, I look at the council guards for some closure. It's best if I deal with him later.

Lahar cleared with throat by jolting out a cough into his gloved fist. "See, Miss Heartfilia, the Council has brought up a petition for these men, " He gestured to the criminals behind him. "A year with the most trusted and earnest mage to test if they can change their ways and be stable enough to live out in the world again."

I glance at the men in lingering suspicion. Me? They could only think of me, of all people? To be honest, it was flattering that I was their first thought, but I didn't like what they were doing.

"Just do it, Blondie, you have no choice whether you want to or not." Cobra rumbled lowly.

I shoot a glare at him and returned my attention to Lahar and Dorinbolt.

"We are still setting things into play, but expenses will be paid for, of course, we will have them delivered tomorrow, but you will have some paperwork to sign." Lahar explained lightly, "They haven't many personal items, so you might want to take them for more--"

"Please just stop." I abruptly interrupt him. He blinks in surprise at me for a few seconds. "Listen, I get what the Council is trying to do, and I'll accept, but I'll to mention I'm not really fairing well myself these days." Not really hinting about my pregnancy, but I'm sure Cobra is reading--ahem--hearing my thoughts right now, seeing his slight tenseness just now.

"Oh, of course. We understand." Dorinbolt nodded in whatever mood. No, I don't think you do.

"We are grateful you accept." Lahar smiles kindly at me. "If I may, I'd like to speak in private."

I raise an eyebrow, but I slide off my chair-- which I assume that Lahar set me on-- and follow him into my kitchen.

The tall man stood in the center of my cookery area. "Miss Heartfilia, I know you are aware of Cobra's magical abilities, how he can read thoughts." He suddenly turned to me, rummaging through his pants pocket, he brings out a ring with a symbol and a green jewel decorating it. The symbol I recognized as "protection".  "This will protect your mind from Cobra. The jewel has an active emergency alert within it. Just the tiniest bit of placed magic will trigger it and alert us right away. Dorinbolt will come to your aid if that ever were to happen."

I take the ring, examining it from the pinch of my fingertips. The metal was warm from being in the council guards' pocket. I feel the indention of the protection symbol with my fingernail.

"Lahar, " I begin thoughtfully, debating whether I should tell him of my condition or not. He looks down at me with an eyebrow raised. "Never mind, " I sigh, "Thank you." I wagged the ring in the air before slipping it onto my right ring finger. It fit perfectly. 

"I'm sorry for laying them on your shoulders right now, especially when you're not lively of as late." Lahar apologized sincerely.

"It's not that I'm not lively, I'm just trying to process a recent discovery, which isn't all-important, but it's still a shocker." 

A booming rumble of thunder yelled just as I finished. I felt myself jolt. I don't know why I jumped, maybe I'm beginning to become on the edge.

"Oh, hello, Dorinbolt! What are you doing here?"

My eyes become as wide as saucers hearing Makarov's tired voice ask. What's he doing here!?

I spin around and hurry back into the living room, barely running the tiny old man over by a landslide.

"Ah, Lucy! Just the lady I wanted to see!" His softly smiled up at me.

"U-uh..." I try to come up with something to say, but nothing forms. Not even a small "hello" or "how do you do"? I stood there, my mouth hanging open, inaudible sounds escape me.

A surge of warmth washes over me, and then a small flash of golden light lights up the living room.

"Sorry, Princess! I told Virgo to stay with you until I got back--" Loke choked on his sentence, gaping at the Council Guards and two criminals currently making themselves comfortable on my recliner and bed.

It was silent for the longest seconds. It was almost as if Loke was going to charge his magic and beat the crap out of them.

But, so did Makarov. My closest people shook with a boiling...anger?

"What the hell are they doing here??!!"