Chapter 14

"Vitals are normal, but your blood pressure is a little high", Porlyusica walked away from me, holding a small vial of blood. I held a cotton ball to the puncture wound on my arm.

This morning, Loke appeared out of the blue, telling me to get a check-up at the doctors or something. I know the old woman was in the Magnolia forest, but I trust her. She might be the only I trust to check on the baby. It's funny; when we arrived - Loke, Cobra, Midnight, and I - Porlyusica, the human-hating human barged from her home, waving around that broomstick she had on standby. Cobra, with his weird sound magic, managed to dodge and escape the broom's wrath, but Midnight wasn't so lucky. Loke got out of the beating by saying he was a 'spirit' and technically not 'human'. The boys decided to remain outside during the remainder of my checkup.

"Have you experienced any extreme forms of fatigue or drowsiness?" Porlyusica placed the vial on a vial tray and turned to me.

"The fatigue has been coming and going, if that's what you mean, " I say, leaning forward, propping my elbows on my knees, "I haven't really been experiencing anything extreme, well, if you count the morning sickness and strong cravings for spicy foods."

"Yes, I figured as much, " the pink-haired woman nodded, understanding, "I will give you a simple formula to help with your constant nausea. That's all I can do for you, for now."

I nod, taking the cotton ball from my arm, and replacing it with a small bandaid.

"Another thing, girl, " Porlyusica spoke up again, making me avert my attention toward her, "Have you been developing any power tapping?"

My brows knitted together in confusion, "Power tapping?" What was power tapping?

"By your confusion, I assume you don't know what it is, " She sighed deeply, grumbling about how humans were so useless, "It's rare, but it happens. Sometimes when a wizard is pregnant, the mother sometimes taps into the fetus' magical power, which has been in development since conception. At times, the magic is more developed than the fetus, and the mother will intercept with the magical flow and subconsciously use her baby's power as her own; it has proven devastating for the rarity of power tapping mothers."

That made me worry..."Uh, devastating? Like how...devastating?"

I notice the woman hesitate as her jaw opens ajar, and then clenches shut. Seeing her reaction, it didn't ease my conscious about any of this 'power tapping'. I didn't want to think about the outcomes if it happens to me.

"You needn't worry about that now, girl, " Porlyusica gruntled out, "Instead, focus on staying healthy and preparing for your child."

My worry suddenly beelined on the subject, "Preparing? I how do I prepare? Oh, my Kami! What do I need to get? What will I even need? What does a baby even--" I smack my cheeks lightly, trying to brainstorm.

Porlyusica's heavy sigh drove me from my tornadic swirl of panicked thoughts. She rubbed her temple in annoyance, "You will know when the time comes, but as of right now, you have plenty of time to gather your thoughts."

Time, yeah. I have several months left. Uh...when was I even due? What do I do to keep my child healthy and safe?

I mentally slapped myself. I knew how to take care of a baby, how to feed and care for them. It's not any more different...except, considering how it was conceived. I shake my head. I didn't want to think about that, and I won't allow myself to.

"Right, " I nod in reluctant agreement, "I have some time, at least."

"That you do..." Porlyusica said slowly before a vein popped from her forehead. "You'd have more if you weren't trying to butcher yourself with a damned knife!" Shit! Loke told her!?

The old woman suddenly whipped out her broomstick, waving it around like a windmill caught in a powerful wind.

"A-ah! I'm sorry!" I squeal, throwing curling my arms around my stomach, squeezing my eyes shut as I hunch over, mentally preparing myself for the broom's end.

"Stupid girl! Didn't I tell you to come to me if you felt anything at all?" Porlyusica growled in irritation, the veins bulging in a rhymic throb. 

"S-sorry..." I whimper out, "I...I didn't mean to-! I really didn't...I was--I was..." I couldn't really come up with an excuse to dismiss my extreme depressed and suicidal almost downfall.

"Nevermind it now, you need to get home and rest, too much stress on your body will most likely cause strain on the baby", The woman ordered with a softness of concern. 

I nod, not really wanting her to yell at me anymore.

"I have got a list of reducing blood pressures, " She sauntered to me and handed me a piece of paper with her cursive writing, "The most common ingredient is garlic, there should be a recipe to cure morning sickness, at least for a short while."

"Thank you, Porlyusica", I say, taking the paper from her and fold it up, putting it in my pocket.

"No need to thank me, girl, " She frowned, returning to her potion-making, "Just get out! I'm tired of looking at your human face!"

I chuckle lightly, heaving myself from the chair I sat on, walking toward the door.

~

"Done already?" Midnight piped the second I shut the door.

"Yeah, she said I had a blood pressure problem, but she gave me some ingredients to help with it, and help with my morning sickness", I explain, nodding my head. I'll leave out the power-tapping thing...for now.

"Didn't wanna know, but thanks!" Midnight said sarcastically.

"Shut it, papa's boy, " Loke glared at Midnight, ignoring a grumble of insults, and snickers from Cobra, as he looked at me, "And everything is all right?"

"Yep!" I flash a bright smile, "Now, let's get back to the apartment and fill our bellies with food."

"Great, I'm starved!" Midnight agreed, hurrying after us.

~

"Ugh, this sucks!" An irritated growl grumbled out loudly, startling citizens passing by. The light-haired man shoved his hands into his pockets, frowning deeply, sniffing the air for the familiar scent he caught a few minutes ago.

"What does? You being undeniably stupid?" The man next to him, the complete opposite, dark hair and clothes. He rolled his red eyes at his eccentric friend.

"Frosch thinks so too!" A tiny, pink costumed green Exceed jumped by the dark-clothed man's feet.

"I swear it's him! I wouldn't just forget his smell!" The man stomped in aggravation, "I can smell Natsu's scent!"

"Unfortunately, " The other man sighed deeply, "Sting, why are you always so eager to clash with that idiot? Didn't you learn your lesson after the Grand Magic Games?"

"Ack! He won by pure luck!" Sting snapped at his teammate, spinning like a top toward him, "If I was fighting for real, I could've beat him easily!"

"Yeah! Sting's the best!" The red Exceed with a blue vest praised while sitting on Sting's shoulder.

"Hell yeah, I am! Now, let's go find that pink-haired jerkface!" Sting punched the air with determination.

Rogue sighed heavily, rubbing his temple with annoyance.

"Come on, Frosch, don't stray from me", Rogue said to his cute Exceed.

"Okay!" The little cat said cheerfully, hurrying after his human.

Sting is seriously stupid, Rogue inwardly grumbled, but everyone knew it.

It was literally no use in voicing it out because Sting would agree and then carry on through his day. This is honestly how they lost the Games. Sting got cocky and prideful. Sigh.

When will he ever slow down and use his brain for once?