Chapter 47

And the moment you've all been waiting for: the return to Fairy Tail! word count: 1781

.

.

.

In the vast town of Magnolia, people come and go, browsing through various booths. Some produce stands, and some are just trying to pawn off items for a pretty penny. It was nice outside, really, and it's being nice, children came out to play. I watch the children of all sizes, tall, short, skinny, chubby, white, black, and even a strange pink-toned child play ball out in the street. 

The nervousness inside never ceased to stop blossoming with incredible anxious heat. Flaming, it burned my veins. I'd been thinking about Fairy Tail, well, after the fact of getting over the train incident. I had established the uniqueness of power-tapping, surviving a hostage situation (in which the weird heist trio had escaped with nothing, according to authorities), and not getting whacked by Porlyusica's trusty broom. 

After reaching the city, we had decided to fill our bellies at a restaurant which name I can't pronounce correctly. Apparently, it was a four-star, but it wasn't fancy at all, not that I care about the fanciness. I sit here, thinking we're only a step (metaphorically) away from reuniting with old friends. They aren't old, well, I mean except for Macao and Wakaba, but I wasn't really close with them. I couldn't bring myself to face them before Makarov arranged my return (with my permission, of course) and it's nearly tearing me apart inside just thinking about what'll happen when I do arrive.

I was anything but ready. It's too soon, I felt. They've gone months without knowing where I was and if I was okay or not. With no letters or words from me, they've probably forgotten about me already. Part of me wishes that I hadn't left at all, and the other part is still crying in fear, shaking, rocking back and forth, wanting to die in isolation.

My heart was racing so fast, I thought it'd pop right out of my chest. The blood rushed to my ears, pulsating and throbbing. And even though Makarov was right beside me, guaranteeing his full support and protection, I wanted to hightail it out of Magnolia. 

I mean, how will my friends react? Not only toward the men in my care, but to my baby? I can see them warming up to the baby part. . . the criminals latched to my back, not so much. I wring the hem of my maternity shirt anxiously. 

How will I even approach them? The shirt I'm wearing doesn't exactly hide my bulging baby bump, even if it's not that big, it's still as noticeable as a drop of ink on a blank canvas. It's very stressful to devise what I'd say or do as the questions will be shot at me, left and right. "I left because I was scared you would reject me and my very unplanned pregnancy, sorry for disappearing! I hope we can still be friends!" Yeah, that'd never work. 

"Oi, could ya stop givin' me a headache?" Cobra rumbled from across the booth. His only eye is trained on me, glowering to indicate his annoyance.

"Sorry. . ." I mumble, flickering my sight toward the window again. I didn't feel a single tweak of remorse for him, at all. I knew he knew that. He and Midnight were probably as on edge as I am. 

"Fortunately for you, they won't attack you." 

I chuckle softly. I guess that's true. My insignia adorned the back of my right hand. It was like my life's adventure had finally begun. My lips fall into a small frown. Did my adventure truly end here? This baby has put a huge kink into my life, not just for me, but for Makarov, Happy, Cobra, and Midnight. There are numerous people affected by what had happened to me, and they don't even know it. 

And most members of Fairy Tail would probably deny it because they know him so well. Older members would scoff in my face, telling me they watched Natsu grow up into a powerful, dedicated, compassionate wizard. My flesh shudders as I realize I was doing it again.