Chapter 62

This chapter isn't much. Lucy has another nightmare, Cobra talks with her, and they share stories of their trauma. (Cute moment alert!!!) And then---

Welp. You'll have to find out yourselves!

Word count: 2336

Enjoy~

"My Starling!"

Hearing my mother's voice sent jolts of euphoria through me. Like a child, I frantically search around. I'm in the Heartfilia Estates' garden, near the grand water fountain. But the fountain is empty and the little angel holding the vase that would spurt near crystal pristine water, its grey paint is chipping and there's a cobweb in the mouth of the vase. The pool of the fountain is filled with dried leaves and patches of mud.

It wasn't just the fountain.

The garden wasn't a garden. Its vegetation, its floral inhabitants...all dead and nothing but weeds.

Still...

"Mom?"

That's strange...my voice is...

I look at my hands...my very...tiny hands.

"What?" My voice is still squeaky, youthful. "I'm a child?"

"Starling, where are you?" My mother calls again.

Where was she? My mother, where was she?

I see the mansion in the distance. Home! My heart flutters happily inside my chest and a laugh leaves my throat. I begin to run towards my home, my little legs carrying me across through the dead garden.

If Mom were anywhere, she'd be at our house!

"It'll be okay, Starling--you don't have to push yourself."

"Mom!" I yell, just barely seeing her in the distance, proudly standing in her salmon-colored gown with lace sleeves and layered skirts. I try to run harder, but I get nowhere closer to her, as if I was running in place. I grow frustrated I haven't gained even an inch.

I see her smile at me, but it falters into a teary-eyed frown.

"Mom!" I yell out again, reaching out for her.

Squelch!

Instead of solid ground, it was like I stepped in goo or something putty. I yelp as the substance grapples my legs, spreading up my body while I struggle against it. I cry out as it tugs me into the ground. I try to claw at the ground around me and at the air.

"Mom!" I scream out. "Mom, help me!"

I see her grab at her skirt and start to rush for me.

But she's too late.

I'm consumed by the darkness.

Dark turns into a white ceiling. A white ceiling I remember all too well. Panic swells in me and I try to move. My body -- my adult body -- is pinned to the cream-colored carpet.

Pain stings through my back, vibrating at the back of my head. I can't speak, my breath is shallow and frantic.

"You're mine!" Pink fills my vision.

No...

His hands are violent with my wrists, roughly holding them above my head. His eyes are cold and black.

"No!"

"This is mine." He keeps a hand gripping my wrists and slides his free down, physically grazing my chin, my collarbone, my sternum, my suddenly round stomach. His touches burn my skin through my clothes.