Chapter 1

Edit 10/26/21

Trigger warning! This story contains topics that may be upsetting to others. If it upsets you, you can leave, or read at your own risk. There's a plot going on that WILL be explained later on. No hate comments directed at me or the way I write this story. Thank you.

"When have these symptoms begun to show?" Porlyusica asked, glowering suspiciously from her perch on a single stool, across from where I sat on the infirmary bed.

I wring my fingers on the hem of my shirt, harshly gnawing at my bottom lip. Dread clawed at my throat and my emotions threatened tears and a lump that stuck in my windpipe.

"Well?" The bitter woman impatiently jabbed at me.

I inhale and exhale deeply, trying to recall when said symptoms began, "Just about a few weeks ago", I finally answer the magic medical practitioner.

"I see, " She mumbled, but loud enough for me to hear her.

"Nausea, fatigue, tender breasts, shortness of breath, late period", The woman listed off from the paper she recorded my symptoms on.

At first, when I came, she yelled at me to leave, also shouting curses about humans. I begged her to help me. I wanted to know for sure. I hoped that I wasn't, but there was a very big loop that I was. She gave in and told me to leave her after she looked over me and confirmed my condition.

"Well, Girl, " The old woman spoke up, setting her clipboard on one of the counters, "You have all the symptoms of pregnancy."

My heart lurched painfully in my chest. No, please, no. Anything but this.

Porlyusica glanced at me, frowning with concern, even if she wouldn't ever admit caring for a human, I could still see through my terror. It was a flame being wildly fanned with gasoline, burning and crackling into a giant, roaring fire.

"I can give you a urination test if you want, but I doubt it will be negative, as you have had these symptoms for five weeks", The woman turned back to her vials and shuffled the glasses around.

"No, no, " I slowly slide from the bed and onto my feet, feeling gravity take hold of my limbs the very second, "Thank you, Porlyusica, but I'll be off now, I don't want to waste any more of your time than I have to." I didn't need the urine test if these symptoms have been ongoing.

"Just come to me if you begin to feel unstable, Girl", Porlyusica said, causing me to pause, but I nod instead of speaking.

"Thank you, Porlyusica," I say to the old woman.

She responds with a loud grunt of, "Whatever! Just get out of my house, human!"

I held in my chuckle, turning toward the door, and exit the treehouse cottage.

.

.

.

I enter my apartment in silence. I lock my door behind me and kick my shoes off. I never realized how they had been aching until recently. My breaths were normally calm and shallow, but, now they are exhausted as if I attempted to run around Magnolia in one night.

For the first time, I felt the deafening silence comforting. I'm just so tired of people's voices these days. I can't take refuge at the guild, as they are still celebrating Lisanna and Natsu's engagement. Cold ran through me, searing like acid, but icy cold. It pooled in the pit of my stomach and I began to feel sick.

I felt like my knees would give out at any second, so I hurried over to my favorite recliner, but I never made it. I collapsed beside it, breaking. Sobs coursed through my body and the acidic hot tears left my eyes. Why did this happen to me? Why?