Chapter 12

Watching from the second floor, Makarov observed Natsu's behavior. He couldn't just confront the boy head-on, he was as stubborn as a mule. From the past few days, he had truly been haunted by Lucy's memory. She let him have a glimpse into her mind, and what he saw sickened him. He saw through her eyes. Felt her feelings of anguish and terror. Makarov couldn't say that he wasn't ever so disappointed, because he was, terribly so. 

"Everything alright, old man?" Laxus' voice grumbled out from behind somewhere.

Makarov said nothing at first, then hesitated to, but he turned around to face his grandson anyway. His expression was still stone-like from putting the puzzle pieces together about Natsu and Lucy. 

"You're also a dragon slayer, " Makarov began slowly as he looked Laxus in the eye, "Have you ever undergone powerful urges?"

Laxus squinted in puzzlement at the small man, "Powerful urges? Like what? I don't think I ever have, why?" 

Makarov trusted his grandson enough, but he wanted to keep the conception of Lucy's child at a low point now, but he wouldn't really be giving its life out, right?

"I suppose you can say something might have happened that involved a dragon slayer, but I can't say for sure until I get proper evidence", Makarov hedged, rubbing his mouth, mustache brushing his fingers.

"I'd ask one of the others, " Laxus suggested, glancing off to the side, not sure on what to do or even say, "My best bet is either Metal Face or that kid with the mean cat. Natsu's too stupid too know what urges are, and I doubt that furball of his knows." 

And with that, the Dreyar descendent walked off. Makarov watched as Laxus descended to the main level of the Guildhall.

Oh, if you only knew, Makarov thought bitterly. 

The Guild Master turned back around to watch the pink-haired boy converse with his fiancee and friends. He couldn't but wonder if Natsu tried to the same with Lisanna. He remembered from Lucy's memories, Natsu had an argument with Lisanna the night it happened. Anything he thought about the young Strauss disappeared.

Makarov broke his stare and scanned the Guildhall for Gajeel. He wouldn't allow Natsu to become suspicious. He should start by being discreet about this investigation.

In a lonely corner, Gajeel sat, munching on various forms of iron and steel. His Exceed, Panther Lily, was just sitting on the other side of the table, sipping on a juice, seemingly chatting with his Dragon Slayer.

Questioning starts with him.

.

.

"Lucy Heartfilia! Did or did I not tell you to rest today?!" Loke scolded me just seconds after we entered the apartment.

The Lion spirit was completely determined to keep me isolated within my room since we relocated, which I understood completely, but I'm not going to spend the rest of my...pregnancy sitting on my ass and doing nothing. I should at least be productive until it...grows? Ugh. I still haven't fully comprehended my condition.

It's weird, slightly uncomfortable. I didn't like my boobs being sore, nor did I like constant nausea or the needy cravings. 

Ahem, ANYWAYS. Loke is obviously being a worry wort about everything I do. Again, I understand why.

I spare him an apologetic look, "Sorry, we got some groceries, " I place the broken bag I managed to hold onto the counter, where the oranges just rolled from the ripped paper. "And I know you're concerned, I really do, but-"

"There's a but. Okay, lay it on me. What's the but?" Loke crossed his arms and flicked his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

"But, " I emphasize, "I will not sit around and play damsel. I need comfort, not isolation." I edge closer to my faithful friend and spirit.

His eyes watch me closely for what felt like a long while before he sighed, clapping his hands on my shoulders and pulled me into an embrace. "I'm sorry, I just...just don't want anything to happen to you. I've failed the first time, I won't fail the second."

We separate, "If anything comes up, call Virgo, I'll be busy this afternoon." Loke says almost dully.

"Busy?" It was Midnight who spoke up. "Doing what?"

Loke sighed in exasperation. "I see how it's your business to know, papa's boy."

"Papa's boy?!" Midnight exclaimed with angered disbelief. Veins bulging from his forehead and sides of the neck with the insult. "I'll show ya 'Papa's Boy'!"

Right. Because of his father being Brain, the first master-- or at least I assumed then-- to the original Oracion Seis. I remember Midnight being...I guess close, but not. I don't know how to explain it, really.

"Be nice!" I whack Loke's arm as I scold him. "I don't want a fight started. Go, Loke. The deck is held down here." I pat his breast pockets and step away to return to my groceries.

I had some frozen that were most likely thawed. Which led me to think: my ice cream!!

I know this chapter isn't completely satisfying, but I hope this is enough until the next, and I know it's not as long as the last few chapters. Sorry about that too.

Makarov is only a few steps away from getting the answers he needs: starting with Gajeel.

What'll happen next, besides the questioning, what do you think?

Uh, yeah! So...bye!

~Brittany