Chapter 19

2558 is the word count. Enjoy!

~

"Y-Yukino?" 

The white-haired woman bounced towards me with a pretty smile gracing her lips. She didn't have her usual white and fur-hemmed cape on, which lead me to assume she was on some sort of take-off-from-work-day.

"It's so good to see you, Lucy-san!" Yukino immediately embraced me tightly, hands giving me brief pats on my shoulder blades before releasing me. "How have you been?"

I chuckle lightly, "I'm trying to be my best right now." I say, "I should be asking you the same." I smile at her.

"I have been doing splendidly. We were just going to the beach since it's such a nice day so far." Yukino glanced behind me, frowning in confusion. "Who're they?"

"New friends!" I smile a little too big. "They're...new to Fairy Tail...and uh, we're currently...on a...." Come on! Think! "A mission!" I really don't like lying, especially to someone as honest and sincere as Yukino.

With an eyebrow raised, Yukino's eye flicker back to me. I can tell she doesn't believe my already failing lie. I never was a good lair...I get it from my mom, honestly. Curse my good nature!

I sigh heavily, "Sorry, Yukino, it's complicated, but everything is okay."

"I know, I have faith in you, Lucy-san." She always did.

Midnight groaned rather loudly and rudely, "Can we go now? This place is too cheerful for me."

A grunt of agreement rumbled from Cobra. These guys were completely impatient. I couldn't be with my friends...er, well...because I'm stuck taking care of them. Couldn't they at least let me have a few minutes to talk to Yukino? A few minutes would be a small haven from their attitudes.

"You guys so insensitive!" I bark, glaring at them from over my shoulder.

I knew they could care less, and they really could care less about my social life. We're supposed to be working together, if not as friends, then as companions. I only have a year to straighten them out, and it's like they're not even trying! I mean, they did try to protect me from Sting's mad power blast after thinking I was...damn it. Bad Lucy! Don't think so much--!

"Yukino! What did we say about running off into large crowds--hey! It's the Fairy!" 

Before any of us could react, we were approached by...drumroll, please...I'm sure anyone could've guessed it. Sting and Rogue, oh, and their Exceeds.

I find myself stiffening at the looks they both give me. I'll be honest, I didn't like it, nor did it feel natural to be observed like a painting. I felt like I was being undressed by their eyes. I shift myself toward Cobra and Midnight.

Let's just leave and get out of here, I think to myself. "I'll see you sometime, Yukino," I say my goodbyes and hurry to leave with the men.

"Wait, Lucy-san!" Curse my good nature, I paused right on the spot! "You don't have to go, right? We have so much to catch up on! Would you come to the beach with us?" 

I twist around and look at my fellow Celestial Mage, gobsmacked at her demanded-sounding offer.

"What? No!" Midnight grunted, "C'mon, Blondie!"

"Uh..."

~

The family-friendly chatter of the beach filled my ears. The sun shone done on countless people as they ran across the scorching white sand. It was hot out here, so hot, I could see the heat fumes bouncing off the sea.