Prologue

I'm having a nightmare. A recurring nightmare that appears out of nowhere. It stalks me as soon as I close my eyes for a moment. Five strangers in agony, battling, and on the verge of death surround me as I expend all of my remaining energy to survive, leave, and obliterate a place I've never been. We were always running from the area we were afraid to be. When I was a child, my mother would tell me that I was living a nightmare.

The name I carry, the blood that runs through my veins, the power I possess mean Deathbound.

Death is my fate. Death pursued me from the minute I was born. Many times, I've narrowly missed death. I made it through. It's going to take some time to get used to. Running. Hiding. Staying alive is a battle.

I was never taught how to live a normal life as a child.  I grew up with no idea what life was all about. I've spent most of my life searching for a purpose to exist.

My wish was to be more like the other females in the land, and I thought about it often. I would have chosen to be ordinary, weak, and uninteresting if given the option. Someone who is expected or known to me. A person who blends in with the crowd and is never noticed.

Unfortunately, I have a trait that some would gladly murder for.

There are no criminals in Alpha; instead, the area is filled with average citizens who are bored, commonplace, and common. I am an alius, born with a rare ability that threatens the administration of Alpha.

Individuality is viewed as a liability by the Alpha, the majority group. Due to an inherited death mark, I do not belong here. To others, I'm a blessing. As long as I'm alive, I'll cause havoc for as many people as possible.

Empathy is a skill that I possess. Minds and emotions are entirely under my command. The one thing I can't do is break someone's heart or head. As a result, I became a deportation target because of my perceived threat. DELTA, the fourth world, the metropolis of death, a land where people live to kill and kill to live, had to be isolated from the rest of the globe. For me, it's home since I was born to die.

I belong to Delta because I am an alius. I am a threat. My name is Alison, and I am DEATHBOUND.