*Yule Ball*

December 1994

Iris was telling her mind to stay professional, but no matter how hard she tried, a giggle would always escape from her lips. She found it hilarious, how Flitwick was teaching the students how to waltz for the yule ball. He wasn't the best at dancing, but what made her laugh harder was imagining Snape trying to teach the Slytherins. Luna was the only one who volunteered to help Flitwick show the class, but due to the height difference, it was hard for other students to copy. Iris had excused herself to go to the loo, just so she could empty herself from histeric laughter. 

Everyone in Hogwarts except for students under 4th year were expected to show up to the ball. Harry was deeply pushed since he was a champion, but he also had to find himself a date. Iris teased him, showing no affection to help him. That was his problem. She heard rumours here and there, Hermione had got asked out by Krum, and Iris was impressed. Fred was going with Angelina, and Ginny was going with Neville. Her source was coming from Ginny, who was caught up on most of the gossip. She did feel bad for Harry a little, knowing he wasn't the best with girls. Iris was going, mainly just to patrol the evening. She wore simple Blue robes, there wasn't a point in wearing a dress. She did, however, wear her blue converse, which Minnie frowned at and told her to change. Iris didn't obey, and made them bright pink, just to annoy the older witch. Minnie was furious of course but didn't say anything in fear that iris would do something worse to her shoes. Iris had her hair down and wore her everyday makeup.

She was asked a couple of times by Drumstrang boys mistaking her for a student. Let's say she gave them detention. Yes, it might have been a bit cruel. Iris snorted gaining a look of disapproval, but she ignored it as she continued to watch Ron walking in with Harry. Ron's robes looked very vintage, but they sort of resembled a woman's robes. The lace was the most hilarious part. Harry looked nice, he managed to find some robes after all. The ball started, the champions starting the dance, and iris gasped as she noticed a certain Gryffindor. She almost didn't recognize Hermione, and she looked lovely in her blue dress. She saw Ron looking disgusted as Krum took her hand, and iris giggled at that too. She heard a familiar voice from behind her, and her smile dropped. "Oh Ron, what is he wearing?" Percy asked, not realizing iris was there. iris turned around, of course, Percy was there. He didn't look much different, other than the extra cloak he was wearing. "Oh, sorry I didn't know you were going to be here." Iris raised her eyebrow. "Yeah, well all teachers are expected to be here," 

"Oh right, sorry, I keep forgetting you're a teacher." They stood in awkward silence. "So uh, how's work?" Iris asked, fiddling with her fingers. The topic made Percy talk. "Great actually, Crouch has asked me to be his assistant! It's all very good. The office is great, and there are many people who work hard, like Clearwater." The mention of Penelope made Iris jealous for some reason. She covered it up with a question. "Want to go get some butterbeer?" He agreed and the two went to get drinks, then they stood at a table drinking silently. "So, are you dating Clearwater now?" Iris asked. He shook his head. "No, why would I do that?" Iris was surprised, a few seconds ago it seemed Percy liked Penelope. "I just thought you were, you know since you work together," There were other reasons for her suspicion, but she kept civil. 

He didn't say anything else but instead asked her a question. "Are you in a relationship?" He didn't know where it came from, maybe he was just curious. iris almost spat out her drink. First off, she hadn't exactly moved on from Percy, and second, she wasn't looking for a relationship. She coughed and her face reddened for no reason. Percy watched her suspiciously, a bubble of annoyance blowing up. "No." She said, then she realized it may have been a bit aggressive with her answer, so she added a joke to lighten the mood. "But you know, some drumstrang students asked me out, they thought I was a student." Iris meant for it to be funny, but Percy didn't laugh. Iris ignored his absence and kept talking, hoping to get out of the awkward situation. "I gave them detention, you should've seen the look on their faces." It made Percy relaxed a little and offered a small smile. He noticed Iris's favourite song was playing, and he decided to ask her to dance. 

"Would you like to dance?" He asked innocently. iris' eyes widened, and she looked at him suspiciously. Percy noticed he was being odd, and gestured to the dance area. All the professors were out, dancing funnily. "Your colleagues are out there, thought you'd want too to." Iris looked at his outstretched hand and took it. "Just one dance," She said as Percy led them to the crowd. Percy was a little hesitant to place his hands on her waist, but he got over the fear as Iris placed her hand on his shoulder. They held their other hand together and started waltzing to the pace. It wasn't the most lovely sight, but they were better than Hagrid. They stayed quiet for a bit, their faces pretty close but both gazing past their shoulders. Iris thought back on their conversation about the relationship and felt like she wanted more clarification. 

"Why aren't you dating Clearwater? I thought you two were close." Percy didn't sigh as she expected him to but kept dancing. "Well, I didn't want to date someone who ruined a big part of me." he was referring to their breakup, but it made Iris mad. He blamed Penelope for it, he was too arrogant to admit he was the one who broke them up. Iris kept dancing to the music, but Percy could feel her grip getting tighter. She kept her eyes past him. "You're blaming her? You know it was your fault." She said it a little less kindly than a second ago. Percy looked at her, wondering where the accusation came from, then he realized she didn't know. "You don't know?" He asked, making iris look at him. "Know what?" Iris asked getting more frustrated. Percy was surprised, he thought she knew. He cleared his throat and turned away. "Clearwater came clean to me in the office. She wanted to start dating again, but told me everything and her reasons why she did what she did." Iris kept looking at him, not understanding the story.

"She said we were meant to be and stuff like that." Percy rolled his eyes. "But she uh, broke us up for that reason." Iris interrupted him. "How? How did she break us up Perc? You know it was your fault." Percy sighed, then continued with his story. "Wheeler and she planned it, he would take you out and try to kiss you, and I would be there to watch do then I'd come back to the common room and Clearwater was there." Iris scrunched up her nose, she already knew this. "I already know that Percy," Iris stated, starting to pull away, but Percy held her there. "She put a kissing connection in my drink, that's why I kissed her." Iris stopped moving, staring at him. He showed no signs of lying, making Iris regret it all. "She told me, Wheeler, already told you, but I guess he didn't." He chuckled heartlessly, unaware of Iris's guilt. She stared at him making him look at her. "Why- what- If you didn't kiss her, why didn't you tell me?" She furrowed her eyebrows, and Percy did the same. "I thought you would still be mad at me." He said. "What?" Iris asked. 

"If I knew I would've forgiven you, and we still would've been together and I wouldn't have had to be lonely for 6 months! Why didn't you tell me?" She was shocked by his stupidity. He didn't look offended but was still confused. "I thought you still would have been mad at me for assuming you cheated." Iris dropped her shoulders, staring into his eyes. "Percy, I know you assume quickly, and I know that if Clearwater wasn't there, you would've gone straight to your dorm!" Percy was now starting to realize. "Oh," He said, feeling dumb. Iris laughed at him, it wasn't every day she was smarter than Percy. He smiled at her, his heart swelling at her happiness. He put his hand to her face and kissed her.