•02• He died & I didn't cry

He had seen this scene in numerous movies for numerous times.

The hero opens his eyes after a long sleep, only to realise that he is in a hospital. But still he will ask, "Mai kaha hoon?". As if he can't see the machines and medical equipments around him.

But Angvir was not a hero. He was just a hopeless guy with no expectations from the world.

"Oh, you woke up." He heard Ishana, his 18-year-old half-sister. As always her big black eyes were curtained with round spectacles and glued to a latest romance novel in her hands.

Girl, your brother is in hospital and you are reading a romance novel?

"I'm thirsty." Angvir said, with a hope that the great Ishana Mehrotra will leave her novel in the middle to show some mercy and give him a glass of water.

Ishana huffed.

"Couldn't you wake up a little late? I am on the last chapter."

"Well, if I were you, I would have changed my genre a long ago. In every novel, either hero or heroine dies at the end and you end up crying."

Angvir had just woken up and already started nagging poor Ishana, but nonetheless Ishana stood up closing the book and gave him a glass of water.

Because firstly, she buys her favourite novels from the money Angvir gives her. And lastly, he is her brother, yaar.

He gulped the entire glass and mumbled a thank you to her.

"Ishana, you are forgetting something?"

"My physics test went well. I got 17 out of 20, I am just upset that Mira got 19 marks."

"I am not talking about your test. You need to inform the doctor that I woke up."

"Bro, doctor will come on a round in a while. You rest for some more time and let me finish this novel."

"Okay, when you finish reading this tell me if this time hero died or heroine." His tone was sarcastic but Ishana ignored him.

And Angvir closed his eyes for a nap.

•••••••••••••••••••••

When the doctor entered Angvir Mehrotra's ward, he saw Ishana crying helplessly. His expressions filled with concern.

"Why are you crying, beta?"

"He... he died."

The doctor was in shock listening to her words. Angvir's injuries were not serious enough that it could lead to his death. His death was unexpected.

He eyes wandered to now a lifeless corpse resting on the bed. He went close to it.

Oh, he looked so peaceful even after his death. God bless his soul.

"Hello, doctor." He heard the corpse and shrieked out.

A sleepy Angvir went all alarmed and a crying Ishana stopped hiccuping.

"You were dead. How you woke up?"

"Doctor, I am alive and in front of your eyes."

"But your sister said you died."

Their eyes turned to Ishana, who had stopped crying when the doctor blamed her of declaring her brother dead.

How dare he! She is not like those selfish stepsisters of Indian soaps. Okay, she sometimes steals a little money from his wallet, but that's it. Okay, she sometimes hates how he has got smooth and silky hair, something she wanted for herself, but that's it. Okay, she sometimes steals his t-shirts, but that's it.

"When did I say my brother died? I was talking about Ashish."

"Who is this Ashish?" Angvir asked a little angrily.

What if Ishana had an affair with this Ashish guy?

What if he suicide because she broke her heart?

What if Ishana also decided to suicide?

"The hero of the novel I was reading. He died fighting for his- no- our country." Seems like Ishana developed a feeling of patriotism after reading a patriotic storyline.

"And what about the heroine?"

"Oh, she is happily married to another guy and pregnant, unaware of his death." Her tone was disappointed one.

The doctor was utterly shocked. He has never seen such siblings who discuss ending of a novel in a hospital that too when one of them had suffered an accident a few days ago.

"If you both are done discussing, may I do your checkup, Mr Mehrotra?"

"Of course, doctor."

••••••••••••••••••••••••

As the doctor left, Angvir turned to Ishana who had started reading yet another novel.

"Ishana?" His tone held curiosity.

"Hmm." Her tone held ignorance.

"What exactly happened to me?"

"How much do you remember?" Her eyes were still glued to the book.

"I remember that I was drunk." He blurted out and immediately regretted seeing Ishana's reaction.

"Why is that so?" She closed the novel and that was no less than a miracle. She was either hungry or angry. Well, in this case it was anger for sure, but she won't mind eating him either.

"I got depressed." He downcast his eyes, he knew she will be disappointed.

"You drove in a drunken state and hit a tree. But a girl heard the crash and called the ambulance."

She knew what exactly he will ask next so she continued.

"I inquired about her from the doctor present in the ambulance. She was wearing pink shirt and black pants, that is the staff uniform of a cafe called The Queen's Cafe, which is located nearby where the accident took place. And... from the tag on her shirt, her name is Aaryahi."

"Aaryahi... sounds unique." He smiled mumbling her name.

"That's the reason that doctor remembered it."

"Okay then, as soon as I recover I will personally go and thank her." He smiled, making her smile as well.

"Bhai..." She looked at him with adoration.

"Hmm?"

"Love you!" She gave him a tight hug and a kiss on his cheek.

"By the way, where is that idiot Shaan?" He asked about Ishana's twin.

"He had a football match. You know what, when he got to know about your accident he started crying like a baby." She giggled at her own words.

"Oh, and you didn't cry?"

"No, I cried. But not as much he did."

"I believe." He said teasingly. Ishana starts crying when a character gets hurt, it was her brother who got injured to say out loud.

"I didn't cry that much." She whined, having a clear idea that he won't buy her I-didn't-cry-that-much statement.

"I said I believe you." He said nonchalantly.

"Bhai!" She began punching his arm.

"Ishana, it hurts." He yelped, faking pain with superior acting skills.

"Oh, sorry!" And Ishana believed she actually hurt him and began caressing his arm.

"What about the novel you finished?"

"Oh, yes. Ashish aspired to join Indian army..."

And that's how Ishana narrated the story of how a guy let his love go for his ambition to serve his country and how he got martyrdom.

••••••••••••••••••••••••
Hope you liked it!