•21• Hallucinations

The doorbell rang and Aara ran to open the door. As the door slid, a smiling Angvir came into her view.

“You look nice.” She complimented. He looked much more than just nice in that suit.

“You too look... decent.” His words made her look at her dress. It was nothing special, just a simple black dress that reached below her knees. But the matching heels did their job perfectly. So yeah, she looked decent.

“Thanks.”

“Let's go.” He held her arm. Aara was caught off-guard by his gesture, however, she kept reminding herself that it was very normal. A friend holding arm of his friend is very normal.

When they were on the road, sitting beside each other in the backseat of the car, Aara asked,

“Where are we going?”

“A painting exhibition.” He replied while looking outside the window.

“Oh, so that's your artistic reasons.”

“Yep.”

And silence followed. They had nothing to talk about. So they kept quiet.

Angvir wanted to say something, but he was hesitating.

“Aara...” He trailed off.

“Hmm?” She looked at him.

“Ah... nothing.” He shook his head.

“You want to say something that you think will upset me, right?” She asked, seeing his hesitation.

“Yes.” He silently agreed.

“Then don't say it. Because maybe I have an idea about it.”

“Of course, you do. My gestures must have given it out.”

She smiled, “Actually, I am happy. Finally, this moment came into my life. But... I am an orphan, young and insecure. And partially depressed.”

“Aara, I am not understanding whatever you want to say?”

“It seems too good to be true. I had stopped believing in fairytales after my life turned cruel. And when finally I embraced it, you came. And now, at this moment, I am scared. That I'll have to go through the pain of loss all over again.” Her eyes had moistened by then.

He held her both hands in his.

“My parents divorced when I was five. Their loud angry fights used to haunt me at night. I still sometimes get nightmares of my father slapping my mother. They used to think I am asleep and won't hear anything. But I still remember their fights, even after twenty years.”

By then Aara was in tears listening to him.

He continued, “I am an unofficial orphan, emotionally a five-year-old and very insecure. And partially depressed. Because there is this girl who is afraid of my stupid feelings.”

Her eyes were red and her cheeks were wet with crying. She hugged him tightly. Caressing the back of his head. While Ang just smiled and reciprocated her gesture, kissing her hair softly.

“This isn't how you propose to a girl, you idiot.”

He chuckled at her words.

They were lost in their sweet moment when they heard a soft sniffing from the front. The driver of also crying.

Angvir smiled and said, “Driver uncle, the plan is cancelled, take us to my penthouse.”

“Sir, we have reached the exhibition.” The driver replied.

“But I told you the plan is cancelled.”

“Sir, we have reached the exhibition.”

“Are you listening to me? The plan has been cancelled.”

“Ang... Ang!”

And Aara's voice brought him back from his delusion.

His eyes widened when he realised that it was a delusion. He was imagining this whole proposal thing.

“Why are you so lost, Ang?” Aara asked with concern.

He looked at her. They were no evidence of tears or redness on her face. She looked perfectly normal.

“I... I was hallucinating.” His reply left her dumbstruck.

“How do you know you were hallucinating?” Because as much as she knew hallucinations feel as real as reality.

“Because I... I'm used to hallucinations.”He mumbled.

“What do you mean by that?” She asked, confused at his words.

🤍🤍🤍

They were standing in a hall crowded with elite guests. Artful pieces were hung on the walls. You could hear nothing except for the whispers of praise.

However, nothing appealed to her. Her whole attention was grabbed by a certain hallucinating guy standing beside her. He was behaving very normal. And that's exactly what was bothering her. He was behaving very much normal, after what he told her in the car. He was trying to hide any sort of abnormalities he had.

Aara had had enough of his pretending. She pulled him towards a secluded corner as soon as she found the opportunity.

“Are you going to tell me what's the matter?” She asked, quite angrily.

“No.” He moved to leave but she held his hand.

“Ang...” She composed herself and began caressing his arms, “Don't be afraid, I want to help you. You know my vulnerability, tell me yours. Please.”She cupped his cheeks, wiping the tears that escaped his eyes.

“I may have sort of a psychological disorder.” He didn't look at her. He was afraid he'll end up crying.

“What do you mean by ‘may have’?” She asked sternly.

“I am not sure of it.” Again, he didn't look into her eyes.

“Means you never approached for psychiatric help?”

“Never.”

“Does your family know?”

“No. You are the only one aware of my condition.”

“You know, the one thing I appreciated about your society is that you people are aware of mental health disorders. But you... Uggh!” She was so, so angry at him.

“Can we just not talk about it anymore?” He pleaded, his emotions were getting out of control.

Aara sighed and kept staring at him.

“Aara, don't stare. I feel horrible.” He began pacing around in frustration, “I shouldn't have told you about it.”

“Ang...” She had no words to pacify him, so she hugged him. “It's okay, Ang, it's alright.”

•••••

Now the story may turn a bit unrealistic. It just happened. But I hope it was a good chapter.

💝💝💝