•16• Brother Zone

“So by the hell, you meant the terrace of your home?” Angvir asked while sitting on the ground of the terrace. It wasn't made of marble. It was a terrace made of cement. The cracks showed it's old age. And Aara was in no financial position to renovate her parents' home.

“Yes, this is my hell.” Boldness was out of her character. However, at that moment it was the word to describe her. Because she had her head rest against his shoulder and arms wrapped around his torso.

“A home is heaven, not hell.” He argued.

“That's true, till the time you have a family. When you are alone, the memories of your family connected to your home start haunting you.”

“So your home haunts you?”

“It does. When I enter the kitchen, it reminds me of my Mumma cooking. When I enter the bedroom, it reminds me of the weird noises I used to hear at night, my parents having sex unaware that their daughter is literally pulling her hair out in awkwardness.”

“You should have moved somewhere else. Maybe with your relatives.”

“I did. I did move to my uncle's house.”

“And?”

“They started manipulating me into getting married. So I returned, to live on my own.”

“Hmm.” He sighed in disappointment.

“I am okay with living here all alone. With the memories of my happy past. But the neighbours have got more nosy. They'd be visiting, again and again, to put salt on my wounds. And when you couple of times dropped me home, the women of the neighbourhood came to give me a long lecture. You are going on the wrong path. It's a shameful act. Think about your dead parents. You are earning sins. And what not. Why don't they mind their own business? I am damn sure, when you'll leave the house, they will come again to tell me how shameless I am.”

“Then tell them that we are friends. Or just say that we are relatives. Your mother's sister's son.”

“Lying isn't my cup of tea. Why don't you tell them that by yourself?”She wasn't serious while saying so. She simply wanted to end the conversation because she was drowsing.

“Alright, I will.” And he was serious while saying so.

“Okay.” And she closed her eyes to let sleep embrace her. She was at peace. After a long time, she slept in the warmth of a body. And he was more than happy to do that. He was sitting on the uncomfortable floor, making his butt ache. But he still didn't move. He didn't want to. Because he was afraid he will disturb her sleep. And he very well knew she didn't have a nice sleep in months.

So he just wrapped his arms around her and put his head softly against hers. And tried to sleep. Because the next day he has to do something about her neighbours.

🤍🤍🤍

“Ang, wake up. Let's go downstairs. You can sleep in my parents' bedroom if you want to sleep more.”

Ang, in his half-asleep state, managed to go downstairs with Aara by his side. She guided a sleepy him to her parent's bedroom. Once the bed came into his view he jumped over it to get some more sleep.

“You'll get late for the office, Ang.” She tried to remind him that he isn't a college boy to do sleepovers at his friend's home. He has a company to run. But to no avail, he was fast asleep again.

She smiled and caressed his hair, but the doorbell ruined her moment.

“Must be the gossiping aunties of the neighbourhood.” She rolled her eyes because she knew what will happen. And she was going to hate that.