•11• Friends

Just a day before, Aara was sad over what happened between her and Angvir. Though, nothing happened, yet it felt as if he threw her out of his life with just one question. However, she was never a part of his life to began with. But she can't deny that he had a major part in her life, he was someone who genuinely cared for her. Or maybe it was her delusion that he cared. Why he will care? She was no one to him, after all.

And if she is no one to him, then he is no one to her. Or at least, she could try to do so.

Even when she knew she will fail miserably.

“Aara, get out of your thoughts. We are there.”Danish's voice pulled her out of her thoughts as he parked the car outside the venue of a grand party.

As she stepped out and stood in front of the party venue which gave reflections of wealth, luxury and aristocracy, she got nervous.

“Do you really think I should be attending this party?”She asked Danish.

“Aara, it's a golden chance for you. That author is genuinely impressed by your articles and short stories. Meet her and your writing career will get a smooth start.”

“Danish sir, I am scared. I look like a clown in this dress.”She whined looking at her full- sleeve floor length white gown with intricate patterns which made her look like the goddess of winter. It was simple yet elegant.

“Beta, you look beautiful. And this dress is my choice, it perfectly suits you. Just pull off your confidence and grab this opportunity. Hmm?”

Danish forwarded his arm for her to hold, she complied. And they entered the party hall.

Aara gasped looking at the scene. Now she understood what High Society meant. Rich people, luxurious lifestyle, and glamarous parties. But it felt all fake.

“Hey Danish, I was waiting for you.”She heard a feminine voice and next moment her eyes registered a beautiful woman.

She was probably of Danish's age. But her body features were hypnotising. Aara could bet that if she was a guy she would have fallen in love with the woman at first sight. Her beauty may sound utopian to you, but she truly was this much beautiful. Her bright smile only multiplied her attractiveness.

“Aah, Jennifer.”

Danish hugged the woman whose name was Jennifer.

“Hmm, whose this beauty beside you, Danish?”

Aara's eyes slightly widened at Jennifer addressing her as beauty.

“Oh, meet my brilliant student Aaryahi Sharma. The one whose writings you read that day.”

“Oh! So you are Aaryahi. Nice to meet you!”Jennifer hugged her and Aara came out of her dazed state.

As the hug ended Jennifer chirped.

“Babes, you are amazing. I would love to read your future works.”

Aara smiled,“Thank you, ma'am.”

Jennifer's smiling face then turned to Danish, “Danish, our college friends are also present in this party. C'mon, let's meet them.”

“Of course. Aara, you grab some drink and enjoy. You'll probably get bored with us oldies.”He chuckled.

Aara nodded while laughing at his remark. Because she was actually thinking the same.

Danish and Jennifer disappeared into the crowd of guests.

Aara looked around, she felt like a fish out of pond. “Let's grab something to drink then.” She mumbled to herself and headed to the bar section. She just hoped they had some non-alcoholic drinks.

“Excuse me, can I get a soft drink?”She asked the bartender standing on the other side of the counter.

“Yes, ma'am.”And he instantly poured some soft drink into a glass and offered the glass to her.

Aara politely thanked him and was about to leave when she heard a familiar voice.

“Excuse me, ten shots for me.”

It was Angvir. He was standing a few steps away from her, leaning against the bar counter. He looked distressed.

Aara immediately turned away to leave.

“Aara, stop.”But she heard him.

He saw her already.

She closed her eyes in nervousness and turned around to face him. As she looked at him, he was coming closer to her. And when he stood in front of her, looking straight into her observing eyes, he mumbled,

“I am sorry.”

Which surprised her to say the least.

She was silent. Her mind went blank as his intense gaze prisoned her figure.

“Your shots, sir.”The other bartender said out loud to get Angvir's attention, breaking their moments of staring.

Aara, with a soft drink still in her hand, moved to leave again. But Angvir grabbed her free hand and dragged her with himself to the counter where his ten shots were placed.

“What are you doing?”She asked, quite agitated at his behaviour.

“Apologizing.”His reply was simple and innocent.

Aara took a long breath to calm herself down.

“Okay, I accept your apology. Now, may I go?”

“No.”He refused.

“And who are you to say this?”

She already knew his answer - the man who sponsored your scholarship.

“A friend?”

But his reply knocked out her judgement. Unknowingly, a smile graced her face.

“Since when we are friends?”She asked, because she never expected to him to consider her as his friend.

“When we together ate Gol Gappey that night.”He smiled.

The night when he finally found someone who genuinely cared for his happiness.

“Yesterday, at the cafe, I got angry when you said Danish isn't the one for me. I was expecting you to show support. And when the very opposite happened, it fuelled my anger. And I know I hurt you.”

He was right, he hurt her. But she couldn't feel the hurt anymore. When he is standing in front of her. Apologising. When he could've simply ignored her presence.

She smiled. A true smile.

“I am glad you hurt me. Through this I got to know I have a friend.”

•••
The party night isn't over yet.