•18• A Fairytale

A gush of cold air hit Aara's bare arms as she entered the party venue with a nervous Samaira by her side.

It was too loud inside. Aara wasn't fond of Badshah or Neha Kakkar. She was more of an Ali Sethi and Shae Gill kind of a music lover. Classical music with a touch of modernity. She could listen to Pasoori a thousand times.

“So what are we supposed to do here?” She asked Samaira.

“Technically, it's a party. So, I guess, we are supposed to dance.” Samaira replied in a questioning tone.

“As much as I know, dancing in such parties simply means grinding against the opposite sex.” Aara shared her opinion.

“Then we should stick to cold drinks and snacks, I guess,” Samaira suggested.

“Sensible much.” Aara agreed and both the friends began finding the food section.

🤍🤍🤍

Sadly, they found no food section. It was only vodka, whisky, brandy and whatnot. Every variety of alcohol was available at the party. But no Sprite or Fanta.

No soft drinks for soft girls.

“Food section idea was a flop, what should we do now?” Aara asked.

“How about mingling with familiar faces?” Samaira suggested with a grin.

“Samaira, bookworms like you don't attend such parties. And the other familiar faces must be busy smooching some other not-so-familiar faces.” Sarcasm was dripping from her words.

“So what should we do now?” Samaira asked with a confused expression.

“Let's jump to the main motive of attending the party. You proposing to Aaryan.”

“Isn't it early to do that?” Samaira was getting cold feet.

“Let me repeat your words from our earlier conversation. It's now or never.”

Samaira thought for a while and then agreed. 

“Alright, where is he?”

“He is standing exactly fifteen steps behind you, chatting with that bitch Nayana.”Aara looked at the said bitch while saying so.

“So what am I supposed to do?”

“You are supposed to turn around, walk to him, ask for a dance, wear a confident smile and just steal the show.” 

“Okay, I can do this.” Samaira was determined. She turned around and began walking to where Aaryan was standing. But all of a sudden her determination flew out of the window and she came back to Aara.

“I can't do this. I can't do this, Aara. I feel nervous.”

“Samaira, it's now or never. C'mon!” Aara tried to encourage her friend.

“You also come with me. I can't do it alone.” Samaira grabbed her hand.

“Okay, I am coming with you.”

That being said Aara and Samaira walked to Aaryan. Till then Nayana had left from there and Aaryan was standing there alone.

“Hi, Aaryan! I'm pretty sure you don't know me.” Samaira wasn't ready to speak, so Aara began the conversation.

“You are wrong. I know you. Our gay professor's favourite student Aaryahi Sharma aka Aara.” Aaryan said in his seductively husky voice.

“Glad to know. Meet my friend. I am sure you know her.” She pulled Samaira to her side.

“I'm sorry. I've seen her for the first time.”

His reply left both the girls busted.

“Yeah, she wears specs at college, so maybe because of that, you couldn't recognise her. She is Samaira. The topper of our batch.”

By ‘our’ she meant her and Samaira's batch. Aaryan was their senior.

“Well, I'm too busy to keep track of toppers. But nice to meet you... Aara.”

Aaryan's full attention was on Aara and it was bothering both the girls.

“How about a dance?” He asked Aara.

Aara was astonished. She wondered what made him interested in dancing with her. Or maybe she was wrong to think of herself as unattractive all these years. Or maybe the short black dress did a good job.

But a dance?

In those heels, she was wearing?

She had no intention of falling on her butt in front of half of the college.

“I am sorry, but dancing on heels is no less than a death wish for me. So I'll pass. I want to get embarrassed in front of half of the college.” She tried to act dumb, foolish and other synonyms to shoo him away.

But he just chuckled, “You are quite interesting. Alright, we'll meet in the college on Monday, then.” And he walked away.

“I think I should leave,” Samaira said and went towards the exit.

Aara quickly walked behind her.

Well, the plan went wrong. And Aara got a new unwanted admirer. Sounds like a fairytale, right?

••••••

How's the chapter?