Chapter 12

"Why did you do that Evanna?" Charlie asked, his light blue eyes reflecting his dissaproval all too well. 

"I don't know." I shrugged, winding a bit of my curly hair around my finger and swinging my legs "I didn't really think." 

"You need to be more careful." He insisted, reaching for another thin pebble that was lying on the pier and carefully skimming it over the surface of the water. I watched as it bounced gracefully before disappearing under the rippling water. "If they catch you skipping another day of school, you're going to get kicked out for sure." 

I looked away from him, over to Britian, trying to make out the white cliffs of Dover or the very tip of Plymouth, but as always, to no avail. "I don't care about school. I just want to write songs and that's it." I insisted. 

He exhaled. "What did you even do today?" He asked as though reluctant to encourage my behavior but his curiousity got the better of him.

"Took my bike into the city and played under the Arc de Triumph." I turned to grin at him. 

Charlie looked appalled "You are kidding. Your parents would never approve." 

I wouldn't know if they approved or not because I never intended for them to find out. It was difficult to keep alive a dream when so many people kept trying to smother it, escpecially your best friend. One of these days, I was going to have to get up the courage to finally leave here. To finally do it. What worried me was that no one would understand. No one would want music written by a school drop out. No one would want to associate themselves with someone with my background. And everything would be for nothing. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I gripped onto Nathan's hand and pressed a finger to my lips as we tip toed through the hall. I hesitated outside the lounge door, feeling a bit nervous about this. I could feel Nathan looking at me. Taking advantages of my stillness, he lent in to quietly peck my cheek and it took everything I had not to giggle. I widened my eyes meaningfully at him, making him smirk but he squeezed my hand, letting me know he was there for me. 

"Hi, guys!" I squeaked, entering the room and pulling Nathan behind me. I gave them all a cheery wave, while Nathan nodded at them. They all chorused their hellos. It was sort of sweet to see. Sasha and  Charlie were all cuddled up together on the sofa. Ceallach was sprawled over an armchair balancing several plates of food on his stomach and the arms of his chair, and Briony was sitting cross legged on the floor in front of him. 

"Em, I have some, well - we actually have something to tell you all." I started my voice quavering. Nathan stroked the back of my hand, sensing how nervous I was getting. Sasha sat up suddenly, reaching for the remote to mute the T.V. Everyone looked a little concerned. "Em, well." I coughed and looked desperately at Nathan for support. 

"Oh right!" He jumped realising that I needed help "Well, I asked Ev to marry me tonight." Sasha's hands flew to her mouth and her eyes bulged. Briony sprung to her feet. A bowl of crisps slipped from the arm of Cel's chair. 

"And I said yes! AHHH!" I squealled, finally letting me excitement leak.  That was when it seemed to hit everyone at once. 

There were squeals and shrieks and tears and loads of "aww mate"s and "so cute"s. Ceallach swooped in first and grabbed Nathan in a bear hug, squeezing him a bit too hard. Nath met my eye and made a face making me laugh. Briony was holding both of my hands in hers, saying nothing and just crying shamelessly in my face. I patted her on the back, rather concerned she was taking it so hard. Especially since Nathan had already told me that Jay had told Briony he had been planning to propose. Sasha was the most excitable I've ever seen her. Usually that girl does not even have a hair out of place, so to see her actually jumping on the sofa, screaming her lungs out was possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen.