Chapter 17

Nathan POV 

I waited for Evanna to start talking about the wedding. But it never came. Her natural inclination was to reject the idea of getting married just out of her teens and I got why; I felt the same. It didn't mean we didn't want it to happen or that we didn't love each other. It was just that in a society so career orientated and functional - young marriage wasn't commonplace. Eventually she sat up and started pulling out food, passing me stuff she knew I liked. Once we were finished, the sun had begun to yellow with the aging of the day and the numbers in the play park had thinned out enough for Evanna to  take my hand and pull me, running, over to the swings. 

We swung as high as we could, laughing self consciously as the nearby children stood watching us. The sun filtered through Evanna's dark hair making it shine as it flew out behind her. I was watching her but she was watching her feet and the way that her yellow flip flops clung to her toes; the nails of which were painted navy blue. 

As we grew tired and we began to not swing so much as sway, our feet fixed on the ground, Ev turned to face me. "It's funny the last time I was at a park was when you asked me to...Y'know." she turned a bit red as she was unable to finish. I laughed. 

"And here we are again at a park, talking about it." I said surprising myself by not being able to say it either. 

Ev laughed reaching over to grab my hand. "And based on that logic...I'd quite like...I mean want to have the - ah - wedding outside." 

"You know that sounds sort of wonderful." But she still looked nervous. 

"Nathan, I want to have it back home." said Ev in the smallest voice. 

"Oh." I said. That would be complicated. Too complicated. I almost opened my mouth to tell her this when I stopped myself. Good thing too, I didn't want to insult her intelligence by telling her something she already knew. "Evie, I've already got what I want out of the wedding: I get to marry you. How that happens is completely your ball game." 

She beamed at me, looking close to tears. I hadn't realised how much this would mean to her and I wondered how long she had been wanting to tell me. "Come here." I mumbled and she stood. Sitting on my lap, I slid my arms around her middle and pushed us both weakly with my trainers. After a while of sitting like this in silence I saw the goosbumps erupting on her arms and decided we should probably head off. 

We collected the bags, and Ev her flowers, before walking out of the park and hailing a taxi. While we waited for the taxis to do a U turn and return to us Evanna whispered to me "But Nath if we're having it outside surely we'll need to have it next Summer?" That was longer than both of us had been wanting to wait and with the new album due to be released next Summer, it was sort of  awkward timing. 

"Maybe not." I said.

"Then when?"

"This year...maybe September?" 

"September." Evanna repeated before smiling at me. 

 Evanna's POV 

It had been a few days since our little trip to the park and it seemed 'September' had become Nathan and I's word. It was a less cliched version of other couples' forevers. At the end of a phone call Nathan would always sign off 'September' to which I'd reply 'September' back. I was cleaning the kitchen floor the other morning and kept mumbling 'September September September' to myself - a reminder of what I was working for. Charlie stepped over me seemingly a little bemused. And it was when Jenny, manager of Brain Freeze, marched her stupid Jimmy Choos out of my studio and I collapsed at my desk angrily, covering my face with my hands that I murmured pathetically 'September, hurry up.'