Chapter 18

I lay in alone in my bed in my flat. It was hard to believe that my nights in this room were numbered. It was mid may now, so not only were my nights in my flat, but my days as a single person were numbered too. It was sad it a way. Don't get me wrong, I was so excited for everything to come, but it was bittersweet. It felt as though I was gradually shutting down parts of my old life while I helped my new one to begin - both my flat and Nathan and Tom's house were becoming exceedingly empty. Even old Tom was on the prowl for a new home. 

As much as I hated to think about the actual wedding ceremony itself, preparations were well underway and it seemed everyone was keen to get involved. Manon, my aunt, who herself was married last year was organising all the furniture which she was recycling from her own ceremony, my parents had already called their local council and arranged for the beach to be blocked off to the public on the day and Jess had been picking our outfits. She'd been visiting me in my studio every day this week and flipping through brochures with me at lunchtimes. Even Siva was keen to get involved, using his underrated art skills to design the invitations. Jay offered but I didn't quite fancy bright blue Avatar themed wedding invitations. I could just imagine the tagline along the bottom Taste The Rainbow. So I politely declined. 

It was as though the world was finally on my side - everything was helping propel me to September.  Everyone except Jenny, that is. I was in my studio earlier today - Jess had left and I was just on the piano, dramatically pressing chords and hoping I'd stumble upon something nice sounding (I'm obviously such a professional) - when she'd marched in. I hadn't been expecting to see her or her boys for a while since she'd given me my ultimatum, so I may have almost fallen off my chair in shock. And what was she there for? To steal my September. 

"The US label has given us a deadline, Evanna. I know this is a lot to ask, but we're going to need the track by September." Jenny had explained, her hand stretched out expectantly for the coffee Shauna was in the process of carrying over to her. 

"September?" I'd choked. "I can't do September, Jenny. I'm - uh," I really hadn't wanted to tell anyone I didn't have to about this, it wasn't their business, especially not her but it looked like I had no choice. "I'm getting married in September." 

Jenny's penciled in eyebrows shot up and her eyes darted to my hand, eyeing the inconspicuous ring on my finger. I hid it below the desk. "Oh, well. Congratulations, I suppose." She muttered.

"Thank yo- "

"But that doesn't change the fact we need the song in by then. Tell you what. Write it for August so you won't have to think about it on your special day." She smiled patronisingly before sighing in a way that told me that was the end of our discussion. She wiped the lipstick from her cup with her index finger before handing it to me, for some reason, and dusting herself off. "Well, good luck with the song and your wedding, too. Until August." And she left. 

Shauna appeared around the corner and took the cup from me with her eyebrows raised. I nodded. She was stealing my September. I wasn't going to let her do that. I'd finish the song in the next few days - then concentrate on more important things. 

As I lay in bed, recalling the events of the day, I realised it was an odd juncture I seemed to have arrived at in my life. I never thought I'd be rushing through my music so I could focus on my personal life - I'd never allowed myself to be like that. It was sort of funny how the roles had switched. The corner of my mouth lifted and I wanted to laugh at how much damage Nathan had caused to my life plan: in all my schemes and visions for my future - a boyfriend or a husband, still a word I was uncomfortable with, had never been factored in. But I couldn't be more thankful for him blundering into my life and together we would make our September work. Stuff Jenny.