Chapter 24

"And so to sum up - " Max said, waving his glass of champagne around flamboyantly " - there is a well know Nigerian Proverb I feel it would be very apt to make reference to. It is as follows: 'Hold a true friend with both your hands.' Well, I would wager that Nathan is holding Ev in very good hands, if you know I mean. Specifically tonight, on the night of their wedding. Am I right?" He sniggered.  

I could make out Tom, Jay and Siva howling with laughter and everyone else giggling themselves silly. I; however, was sat at the table on the beach with our parents, with my face on the table - to hide my crimson cheeks and smother my giggles. Oh, Maxxxxx. Nathan had one hand rubbing circles on my back comfortingly, whilst he covered his face with the other. Once I was sure Max wasn't going to continue talking about our sex life in our wedding speech I raised my head. Most people found it entertaining and were just smiling - but my dad looked like he was about to combust and his face was screwed up as though he was trying very hard not to picture it. I hoped he succeeded. Fortunately lots of my family weren't fluet in english and didn't understand most of it anyways. 

I nudged Nathan letting him know it was safe to look up now. He groaned and glanced at my dad apologetically. He was on the verge of saying something when I stopped him. "My dad's trying very hard not to picture it right now." I whispered. 

"Oh," Nathan looked half ready to smile, half ready to cringe. Then he smirked and lowered his voice even more "But Max was right about one thing, I can't wait for tonight." he winked and I blushed - it seemed wrong that he should say something like that at the table with our parents. But they hadn't heard and my dad's mortification seemed to be passing. 

That was when I saw Jay beginning to get up and raise his glass at the table next to ours. I stood up and made frantic signs at Kelsey - hoping she would notice. She did, just in time, and jumped to her feet yanking him down by his lapels. And before he protest Briony stood up -  "I think it's time for the first dance." She beamed over at me and Nathan. 

A slow song, I'll Be Your Strength, began to play and I closed my eyes to smile as everybody fell silent. This was the first song we had ever danced to in Nathan's living room, the song that had been been playing when Nathan first told me he loved me, the song that had been on the background during our very first time. I could feel smiling faces looking at me and, for the hundredth time today, my heart rate began to increase. Nathan got to his feet in front of me, and held his hand out. "Dance with me?" He asked, his eyesbrows raised questioningly. But of course there was no question; that was the whole point of today. 

"Of course." I mumbled and I heard my mother sob again. I took his hand grinning and let him help me to my feet. I didn't need the help, but I enjoyed letting him put his arms around me. 

He led me to a spot in the sand, in the middle of all the tables and turned around, setting his hands on my waist. I could feel the heat of his hands through my thin dress and I placed mine on his shoulders. Everyone was watching and I just faced Nathan, staring into his eyes. I couldn't believe any of this was happening. I heard Jay wolf whistle at us - probably revenge about for being denied a speech. 

"Remember when we first danced to this song?" I asked him, brushing some hair away from his eyes. 

"Of course. I remember everything about that night." He spoke in such a low voice, with such suggestive eyes I felt I should be blushing. "It's all I'm thinking about right now." I punched his arm playfully as I laughed. We were barely dancing - just standing with our arms around each other shifting our weight from one side to the other, completely out of time to the music. 

When the beat started to kick in and the song got faster I saw something from the corner of my eye. And I second later I heard them too. "Snog him, Ev!" Briony was standing on her chair, yelling at me. I glanced at her with amusement as did everyone else - Nathan's eyebrows were raised as he smiled. It was a snap decision. I leaned up and met his lips with my own. He pulled back in surprise before I grinned at him, acting all innocent. He shrugged a why-the-hell-not shrug before leaning back down kissing me in such a way that made my insides claw and my toes tingle. I let his tongue meet mine lightly, and almost felt like giggling at the surrounding whoops and jeers from everyone watching. What I must be doing to my poor old dad's heart.