Chapter 14

Here's another horrifically long chapter but hopefully you'll like it since I didn't update when I said (sorry!) and loads of stuff happens!

The ending's a bit different and potentially confusing - so if you don't understand please just ask me! Thanks for reading and commenting and voting - it's the only reason I keep going!

Dedicated to Jackiem11 because she always votes, always comments and that's the best support a writer can get:)

Picture on the side made for me by butterflyoflove I'm so grateful and it's so good!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was almost infuriating, how the boys just couldn't take no for an answer. But I wasn't infuriated, because that would make me the biggest git. "No, it's cool! You all go do something interesting. In fact, I don't want you to come with me." I folded my arms and stared around at them all.

We were standing in the hall outside our hotel rooms. I was going to my old home today and the boys were all saying they all wanted to accompany me. To be honest, I'm sure they were just being polite - I can't imagine why they would want to come. Also it would be awkward enough - me turning up after 15 years, without having a world famous boy band in tow too.

"I guess if it's something you need to do yourself then maybe we shouldn't go." Siva contemplated thoughtfully, looking at me then glancing over at the rest.

"I guess." Tom shrugged, sticking his hands in his pockets "Hey, we could go back to Loch Ness - remember that time we stole a boat lads?" Suddenly it seemed they were all happy enough not to come as they talked of their plans to rent a boat, find Nessie and go for a wee whiskey and haggis supper.

Nathan cleared his throat and I realised he hadn't said anything yet. I looked at him "What?" I asked. He glanced at the other boys to check they were suitably distracted before opening his mouth.

He edged a bit closer and took my hand. I felt Briony watching. "I want to come."

I should have expected this, but I couldn't help but scrunch up my nose at him."Nathan - " I was about to tell him to go off with the boys but he put his hand up to tell me to shut up.

"Please? It would mean a lot to me." His fringe flopped it down in front of his light green eyes as they swivelled between mine. I think he'd put his hair back into a fringe for me since I'd told him I'd been missing it. I felt myself nodding.

"No, I'll go." Briony blurted out. I knew she'd been watching us, but now she'd attracted the attention of the rest too.

"Briony, that's OK, I'm going with her." Nathan spoke confidently seeing as how I was about to explode from all this pressure - exactly not what I needed when I was about to go home for the first time.

Briony nodded, satisfied that I was in good hands but as we all made our way down the stairs, she hurriedly skipped past us on her way to Jay who was waiting for her. "Take care of her." She mumbled to Nathan, blushing a bit, as she passed. I shared a look with Nathan and he just nodded.

We split ways and I took Nathan's hand as we walked slowly into the centre of town. I pointed out my old school - where I'd first met Manon as a girl younger than I am now, not knowing she would soon become my aunt. It was only when the tenements on the left ended abruptly to be replaced with a stretch of wild garden, at the bottom of which was a rusty swing set. My breathing hitched and I nudged Nathan looking up at the big, old fashioned house in front of us.

He followed my gaze "Is this - ?"

"Yup."

We stopped at the gate. I'd never felt so terrified. All the memories of this place had softened up and become rounded at the edges in my long absence - I was scared of what surprising things I would be forced to remember.