Chapter 5

Hey! Thanks as always for you lovely comments & votes - without them, I probably would have given up ages ago! Just a warning, it's not edited as it's very late & I'm so tired so I'm sorry for my laziness:'( 

Also, I'm really not keen on this chapter. But I felt I should write one since it's been ages. I'm trying not to make it cringe or cliched so bear with me, all is not as it seems;) The next chapter should be good though...as the main chain of events are about to happen now! 

Anyways, please enjoy! xx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 5

It was the 24th of December at about 7.30pm. A Christmas film was blaring on the TV – the bright red of the Santa hats and the sparkles on the Christmas tree were all blurring together in my sleepiness and turning into a mush. Sort of like when you take multi coloured play dough and roll it together until you’re left with an unsatisfying brown colour.

The tiny, delicate frame of my baby sister, Renee, lay next to me on the sofa. I had propped her up on a bed of cushions where she slept quite peacefully, every so often her huge brown eyes would open and she would blink innocently at the television before she drifted off once more. Gemma was sitting upright on the armchair watching the film calming, sometimes turning to smile at me almost reassuringly, as though to convince me I wasn’t ruining their Christmas.

I picked up my sisters 3 days ago from the Station – both of them ridiculously excited to be in London. Renee was as excitable as any toddler would be – waddling around and quite often falling over on her bum. Gemma eyed up all the types of buildings having never been in such a big city before, this reminded me strongly of Siva and his love of Architecture…and bins. I laughed and she rolled her eyes at me a bit. We went and bought a tree, and since Charlie was back with his family, I let them decorate it however they liked. Gemma’s side was quite neat, but Renee’s had only a single strand of tinsel on the lowest branch since she wasn’t exactly tall and didn’t have the greatest attention span. I then took them to Hamley’s and let them picks some toys out.

So that was day 1. By the 2nd day I was struggling for ideas. That was when Nathan turned up, of course. He had joined them in the kitchen where they were peeling carrots for Rudolph in anticipation of Christmas Eve. He kissed their foreheads and gave them soft toys as an early present. I couldn’t help but stare at him, sitting in between them, teaching them how to peel carrots carefully so they didn’t skin their little fingers. He was so good with them.  

Eventually when they had scurried off to bed, a set of arms wound around my waist from behind and someone kissed my neck. I giggled and turned around.

“How you feeling?” Nathan asked carefully. The flecks of brown in his green eyes shone.

“Why do I feel like a mum?” I laughed; it was hard to believe sometimes I was only 19. I felt so much older.

“Because you have so much responsibility.” Nathan nodded wisely.

I let my smile droop slightly, noticing as I did so that Nathan was frowning. “I don’t like it.”

“I know.” He put his arms around my neck in a comforting bear hug. I gently slid my arms inside his warm hoodie when I heard 2 stifled giggles from the door and we whipped around to see my sisters wearing their matching jim jams standing at the door with massive grins.

It was only now as I sat on the couch with my sisters watching the cringy clichéd film that I thought – maybe I was wrong. Maybe I could get on board with the whole responsibility thing. I had never been fussed about being a mum, but from my experience so far…I sort of liked it.