Chapter 2

Nathan’s POV

“Kelsey says she’s on her way to the airport right now. She’s in the car.” Tom wiped the screen of his blackberry before looking up at us all excitedly.

“That is sweet of her.” Jayne yawned, pulling her curls up into a top knot as she attempted to get comfortable in the aeroplane chair.

“But mind and tell her that she shouldn’t be texting whilst driving.” Siva muttered concernedly, his head falling onto Tom’s shoulders. Tom pushed him away.

“Actually, neither should you!” Jayne snapped her eyes open and reached over the aisle to grab the phone away. “Tom, shame on you! Texting on an aeroplane.”

“Oh, come on, Jayne. I want to talk to Kelsey!” Tom whined.

“I know, pet. But we’re only an hour or two away now.”

We were on the plan home, finally. We were all physically and mentally drained. The heavy snoring and eerily unusual silence that surrounded our area in the plan was only testament to that. But now, as we were approaching the airport and our homes, I was getting more and more excited. Tom’s outburst had me itching for my own phone. I wanted to see Ev so badly. I took my phone out and drummed my fingers on the screen, wanting more than anything to text her.

“Nath,” Tom kicked my shoulder with the tip of his trainer. I turned around amusedly to see him sliding back upright somewhat awkwardly.

“What’s up, man?” I raised my eyebrows.

“Kels says Ev’s coming to the airport too.” Tom said kindly.

“Ah, cool. Thanks for telling me.” I smiled to myself. I hadn’t been able to speak to Ev, excluding a few short emails, since our phone conversation a couple 2 weeks ago.

“No problem, mate. Kels wanted me to tell you. Apparently Ev’s been cramming in as much work as possible so she can spend some more time with you. Kelsey says she’s been rushed off her feet and that you’d better appreciate it.” Tom stretched his arms above his head as he yawned. My stomach squirmed with excitement.

“Don’t worry, I will.”  I turned to face the front again, letting Tom fall asleep. I smiled at the seat in front of me, hoping no one noticed. I was getting very excitable as I realised that in only a couple of hours I would be able to see Ev again after the longest 3 and a half months of my life.

Evanna’s POV

“Just stop here for a second Ev and I’ll read the notice.” Briony wound down the window and stuck her head out squinting at the sign. We had just arrived at the Gatwick Airport and were currently circling the car park, trying to work out the cheapest play to park. “Okay, short term stay, maximum 3 hours…that’s structure A, level 4.” Briony withdrew her head and redid her seatbelt, turning proudly to me.

“Okay, let’s go then.” I flicked off Capital which was currently blaring out some Aiden Grimshaw, and stepped on the accelerator. We pulled up into an empty space by the stairwell and I rushed out to pay.

Agitatedly I tapped my nails on the machine as it processed the coins I had just fed it. I cast a look at Briony was pulling the rear mirror towards her as she rimmed her eyes with yet more kohl.

“Briony hurry up!” I yelled, pulling out the parking ticket and slapping it on the windscreen making her startle.

“Sorry, I just…” she trailed off awkwardly, hopping out of the car and shutting the door.

“Yes? You just what?” I pushed, with a beam, teasing her.

I knew the reason why Briony had been so keen to come with me to meet Nathan at the airport at 2am in the morning. She still had her little crush on Jay. Albeit, she wasn’t quite screaming in his face and throwing her arms around him every time she saw him. But she still liked him. And now at 17 and 23, the age gap was finally beginning to close.