Chapter 16

Nathan's POV 

It was about 9pm and I was exhausted. After a heavy day of promo and radio touring around the city I wanted nothing more than to go home. But, sitting in our black car with the rest of the boys and Kevin up front, we sailed past mine and Tom's house. I stared around at them. 

"Look, I know you lot moved out but me and Tom still live in the house. You can't just ignore it." 

"Oh we're not." Max replied airily. Was he trying my patience on purpose? 

"Where are we going then?" 

"You've been engaged for two months now and we never had a party for you." Tom started "So, young Nathan, that's where we're going."

I looked around at them all. They all seemed so calm and indifferent. My mouth hung open and shock and confusion rippled over my expression - before irritation could follow Jay said "Look, keep your knickers firmly untwisted. We're just going to a pub." 

I dropped my face into my hand and tried to look weary but I couldn't hide my smile. I hadn't been out in ages maybe this would be nice. Evanna encouraged me to give up my drinking abstinence when socialising. She'd said she hated making me feel left out. It was adorable. 

True to their word, we pulled up outside a bar in a fairly suburban area of London where we could ddrink in relative privacy. As we jumped out and Kev drove off, I spied Ceallach leaning against the wall, texting. I almost didn't recognise him. He looked different - certainly not the scrawny, geeky kid I'd grown up with. 

We sat around at a booth in the back. The TV  was on so I could see the match, West Ham vs Motherwell, but on mute so we could still hear Radio 1. Siva had ordered a round of beer on him which I was still nursing when Max had opened a bottle of fizzy wine and began filling everyone's pitchers, since we're refined and all that and used pitchers. Like men. Yeah. 

Siva suggested a toast to me and my engagement. I'd flushed then, feeling a bit of a spectacle. "And Evanna!" Ceallach added timidly. After that I'd found it much easier to raise my glass and toast along with everyone else. It was then that I'd realised that Ceallach hadn't taken me out like this since the night he introduced me to Evanna. Unable not to chuckle, I pointed this out to him.

"So, Ceallach, how did you actually meet Evanna? If you were her friend before she knew Nathan." Tom asked, frowning. 

I turned to look at Ceallach, realising I'd never heard this story. From the way Ceallach was turning a little rosy in his pale cheeks I felt that maybe I didn't want to hear it, either. 

"Man, look at him blush, we have to hear this!" Max was practically bobbing in excitement. Or that might have been the second glass of fizzy wine.

"Right. Let me remind you this was five years ago. Also, let me apologise for this will sound creepy." He took a deep intake of breath, dragging out the suspension, knowing full well he had us all on tenderhooks. It was moments such as these when it was obvious Ceallach was an actor.  

"Well," He began "Back in the days when I was still at school I caught the tube there. One day I started noticing a girl who took the same one. She was already on at my stop but got off two before me. Evanna. You know how she was. I mean - " 

Ceallach broke off and looked at me. I raised my eyebrows. I had an strong suspicion I knew what he was about to say. "Look, I'm just going to say it. She was hot and I couldn't help but fancy her." 

All the boys burst out with an immature chorus of "Wheyyyyy!!" and Tom elbowed me hard in the ribs. I grinned. I couldn't mind - that was sort of how I felt when I first met her.