Chapter 13

"Mum shut up!" I tried not to laugh, catching Nathan's eye. He was sitting right next to me, his eyes open wide, trying to listen in to the phone conversation I was having with my mum.

Mum stopped blabbering on about the 10 new pupils who had joined her dance class and said "Evanna, are you alright?"  

"Yeah!" I insisted "I just have something very important to tell you and not very much time!"  

"What is it?" She sounded concerned and I felt a little guilty.  

"Nathan proposed to me last night and I said - "  

"AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" my mum shrieked so loudly, I tore the phone from my ear as Nathan and I burst into giggles. "Henlé! Henlé Nathan and Evanna! HENLÉ!!" I pressed my hand over Nathan's mouth so his laughter didn't block out my mum's antics, trying not to laugh myself.  

"Feel sorry for your dad!" Nathan whispered, peeling my hand away from his face when his giggles had subsided. I nodded, if he wasn't suitably excited my mum was not be impressed.  

"EVANNA!" a squeaky little baby voice demanded my attention.  

"Yes!" I replied, matching her tone.  

"Are you marrying Nathan?" Renee wanted to know seriously. I grinned at how mature my one year old sister was compared to my mum.  

"Yeah she is!" Nathan called down, meeting my eye and grinning.  

"Yaaaaaaaaaay!" Renee breathed heavily down the phone before she turned away from the phone and tried to whisper "Gemma, she is. She's getting married."  

It was Gemma's turn next to talk to me, but I was just getting talked at really, advising me of the best sorts of weddings to have. Dad came in too and boomed a congratulations, calling Nathan 'son' in every sentence practically. Then my mum got back on, breathing heavily after all the exertion from screaming so much. I was worried she was going to cry.

"Well, they took that well." I said chucking the phone onto the sofa away from me, once we had hung up. Nathan just laughed and said "I'll say."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I lay awake in bed, the quilt pulled up to my chin, rethinking over that situation. I'd been thinking of it pretty much since it took place 2 entire months ago. We'd called Nathan's family straight after who's reaction was a little saner but excited nonetheless. The next day, I'd even received a visit to my studio from Jess - all clad in her regulatory bright red jumper and blazer as she was in the middle of her school lunch break - we'd stood a squealed a bit too loudly, Brain Freeze did not look impressed.

Eventually, I realised I couldn't delay getting up any longer. My little room was looking a bit bare. I'd peeled all my pictures off the wall and tidied up all the piles of clothes and magazines I'd been accumulating over the months since the last time my guilty conscience had pressured me into a clean out. The cardboard boxes full of my stuff sat by the door. I approached the teetering boxes and pulled out my jeans and and the first t-shirt I could find. I laughed when I realised it was the top Nathan had given me for my 17th birthday that he'd got on our very first date. On which we were both standing in a capsule on the London eye. I pulled it over my head, noticing it was a little less baggy than it used to be.

I pulled out handfuls of clothes and hesitated, wondering what sort of clothing I should be packing, before deciding I didn't care and shoving them all into the bag. Once finished, I made some tea. I carried the two cups through the halls with my shaky hands, noticing for the first time in ages, how quiet and empty the flat was.

"Chaz, I have tea for you." I said, nudging the door open with my hip and approaching Charlie who was sitting with his laptop open at 8am in the morning. "Do you even sleep at all?" I joked, setting the cup down in his bed side table and feeling relieved that Sasha hadn't stayed over last night and I hadn't interrupted anything that could potentially scar me for the rest of my life. This had almost happened a ridiculously high number of times, it was embarrassing.