Chapter 27

Nathan wasn't there when I woke up the next day. It was our first morning in our new house and he'd already left. I rolled over into his side of the bed - I liked that he already had a 'side of the bed' - so that at least I could feel closer to him. But I felt something scratchy against my back. 

Fumbling behind me, I plucked out the crumbled note. It was from Nathan. 

Good morning Ev! Gutted I couldn't be there when you woke up but I'm glad you were there when I did! Haha. Jayne called in early this morning to take us for some studio time - trying to pack everything in so that you and me can still go on holiday completely stress free next week! See you tonight. Love Nathan xx 

I kissed the note and stuck it in the pocket of my pyjama bottoms as I raced down the stairs, my hair flying out of its ponytail. I stuck the radio on and danced around while I made bacon for my breakfast. I'm a bacon and ketchup kind of person. My phone buzzed with about three reminders, I had an extremely busy day. 

Thirty minutes later I was out the house wearing denim shorts and flip flops while the weather would still let me. I almost drove the car straight into a tree, but even that couldn't erase the huge grin from my face as I ran up the stairs. 

"Mrs Sykes!" Shauna laughed as soon as she saw me running towards her "Enjoying married life?" 

"Oh stop that!" I blushed, giving her a hug. "But I won't lie, it's pretty sweet. Any messages?" I asked. Shauna instantly retreated away from me and behind her desk. I frowned. 

"Yeah, actually there's a few." I raised my eyebrows indicating her to go on. "Since Brain Freeze left you, it's kind of spread around. People didn't look too kindly upon your most successful band choosing to leave you, apparently. " My stomach dropped. "You have three artists that want to remain working with you." 

 "WHAT?" I shrieked. Three? I have only three artists that want to work with me? I remember being sixteen and meeting Nathan for the first time. I told him I was struggling because I only had five artists. "I can't belive this!" 

Shauna was looking at me, her features smothered with concern. "Do I even have any appointments today?" Shauna shook her head in response to my question. "Whatever. Please just forward me the emails."

"Look, Evanna, there's also - " Shauna began but I stopped her. 

"I'm so sorry Shauna, but I just need to go and think right now." I mumbled apologetically. She hesitated before giving me a small smile and sitting.

I found myself not having much to do as I sat at my desk, spinning around on the chair. I tried to remember the last time I felt like this. I was sixteen, unsuccessful and feeling completely useless. Why didn't I feel the same way now? 

I suppose the answer would have to be Nathan. Songwriting wasn't my whole life anymore. So now, even though that half of my life was falling apart again, the other half - Nathan's half - was fuller than ever. 

I left the office a few hours later for my doctors appointment but before I went, Shauna caught my arm. "I have to tell you something!" I pulled a face. What else was there to say? My remaining three had gone too? "I got another message. From Papertown Records." 

My expression cleared in surprise "I don't think I've ever written for any of their acts." 

"Exactly. Because they have an 'in house' songwriter who covers all acts signed to them. But the last one just quit, so they're searching for a new songwriter. You have an interview on Monday - prepare a new song and get your fancy clothes out." Oh my god. I practically screamed as I began jumping up and down. I pounced on Shauna hugging her until she pushed me away and reminded me of my appointment.