19 | safe place

For a couple of seconds, I stay silent, staring at the dashboard. I understand what Jungkook just told me and think about what to say.

《Did you have a brother?》 I ask.

《Before me, my parents had another child, he died in an accident at the age of five.》

《Oh my God, that's awful, Jungkook, I had no idea.》

A sense of anguish rises in me.

《If you asked me we could have gone to the graveyard together or something.》

《You were probably too busy fucking that guy from the club.》

Ouch. Hit and sunk. Even if it wasn't true.
《I deserve it.》 I affirm.

He laughs, even though a sad air surrounds him. He changes the gear of the car and continues the journey.

《How old were you when he, well he is ...》

《Died? You can say it, nothing happens. I wasn't there yet, I was adopted later.》

《Adopted ... Okay, I missed a lot of things.》 I say looking in front of me, I realize how many things a person can have in their story.

《This is because you never allowed yourself to know me.》

He's not entirely wrong, I've always avoided that kind of contact with him.
We spend a couple of seconds in silence, where I mainly feel guilty towards him.

《I'll take you to a nice place.》 He intervenes.

《What may be nice to you may not be nice to me.》 I challenge him.

《I know you noona, I have been watching you for a long time, I know what you like, even before you know it.》

《Do you know me so well that you know me better than I do?》 I ask laughing.

《You can bet on it.》 He laughs too.

After a very short time, we arrive in a place illuminated by lights, there are people but it is not crowded, the music and the smell of popcorn fill the air.

《A Luna Park?》 I ask, turning to him.

《More or less, come on.》 He says with a huge smile as he gets out of the car.

So I do, without taking my curious gaze from him.

He holds out his hand to me and I accept. I was convinced he would take me inside the park, but no, we go around and up a green hill, until we are on top.

《 Turnaround.》

My eyes and mouth get bigger.

《Wow.》

It's spectacular. The hill is above the amusement park which at the moment is full of colours and lights of all kinds, enlivened by people and their laughter. It's almost evening and there is that suffused darkness.

He lets go of my hand, remembering that he was still holding it. 《Sorry.》

I smile at him and take his hand back in mine. He squeezes it, smiling so hard that his eyes go tiny.

There is something about him that I can't explain. I made such a small and insignificant gesture but it meant everything to him.

Instead, Jungkook made such a huge gesture for me, bringing me here.

We sit on the grass, our backs side by side, we admire the view and the sun that slowly sets. The lights below us get brighter, as does the number of people.