24 | momo

I open my eyes. I don't recognize the room. Where am I? There is a burnt smell of wood. I try to focus and see a shadow sitting in front of a fireplace.

I rubbed my eyes, but that movement caused me pain. A moan escapes my lips, and the shadow turns to me. I am afraid.

《Everything ok?》

Ah, it's Taehyung. I feel reassured hearing his voice.

But why am I with Taehyung? I look down and see a wound. I start to fidget, my breathing quickens.

I look around myself in panic. We are in some kind of a wooden shelter. Why are we here?
I'm cold, despite the layers of clothing.

There is someone or something knocking on the door. Repeatedly and his strength increases to such an extent that it moves all the wood. It continues banging on the door. It never ends, and it's deafening. Taehyung looks at the door and then at me, with a look of concern…or rather of fear.

Slowly, I wake up and open my eyes, I see that I'm at home and that those noises are from my door.

《What the fuck?》
I look at my abdomen, I have no wound.

But I'm all dirty. Of makeup.

Holy shit...

I slap myself. I don't have to drink like this anymore, I'm not young enough. It was a horrible dream, it left me with a devastating feeling, I touch my chest, thinking I can ease the feeling.

I get up, I don't know what condition I'm in, but it doesn't matter.

《Who is it?》I ask hoarsely.

《Open! I'm Momo! Open me up!》 She says knocking again.

I open the door and she rushes in.

An icy wind chases her.

《Shit, it's freezing outside. It took you ages to open up to me!》she says annoyed. When she is angry she forms a strange dimple on her forehead.

《Sorry, I was sleeping.》

I take her jacket and put it on the hanger. She takes off her shoes and we head into the living room, where it's warmer. I tell her to prepare something hot if she wants. By now she knows how everything works in my house, she has been here many times.

She still looks at me with an annoyed expression. 《Why are you dressed like this?》

《Mike and I drank after the shift and stayed there all night, I collapsed.》

《Do you know what time it is?》she asks like a mom. She sits on the sofa next to me.

I check the time.《Oh shit.》

It's past two.

《Sorry, I was really tired.》

She looks at me with disappointment, making me laugh.

《Go wash yourself, you smell of alcohol. I will also talk to Mike, you are incorrigible.》

To talk about her she means to scold. There's something motherly about her when she does that.

I jump off the sofa and throw the pillow at her,
almost making her drop the chocolate she prepared before her, I immediately run to the bathroom. I hear her yelling at me.

I leave the bathroom fresh and clean, with comfortable clothes.

《Why did you come anyway?》I ask pouring a cup of chocolate for me too.

《I have to talk to you about something, actually a person.》

I nod, urging her to continue.

《Do you know our cinema teacher?》

《Professor Kim Heechul?》

She nods biting her lip nervously. I don't understand where she wants to get with this speech...

She puts her cup down and makes herself more comfortable and with a serious look she stares at me.

《We had sex.》

《Oh?》

《We had-》

《Yes, don't repeat that, please.》I say waving my hand between us.

《Momo, what was on your mind?》I ask calmly.

《I don't know...we were both a bit tipsy...I had been drinking.》

《Yes, but how did you get to that point?》I have to understand the dynamics.

《We met in a nightclub, I was there with some of my friends.》

《From the University?》

《No, luckily.》at least she doesn't risk anyone saying it around.

《Momo ... did he know that you are his student?》

She doesn't answer me, but her look and the shame emanating from her eyes are more than enough answer.

《Did you have sex without him knowing about it?》I ask baffled.

《I know it's not right, but I wasn't myself, I had been drinking and-》 she her voice is shaking.

《Don't worry, Momo, breath.》 She is starting to fidget. I shorten the space between us and put my arm around her shoulders, she starts crying softly.

《I don't know-》she lets out a sob.《I don't know how it happened.》

She starts throwing out more sentences and crying desperately.

《DId he force you?》

She repeatedly denies. 《Absolutely not, he asked my permission earlier, I was just tipsy but I understood what I was doing.》

《You weren't clear enough to understand that he is our teacher.》

She lowers her head, perhaps out of shame.
《I hope he doesn't remember anything.》

She abruptly gets up from the sofa and in full paranoia she exclaims. 《No no no, it can't happen, I'm changing class Chaerin, I can't risk it.》

I stand up from her and place my hands on her shoulders to divert her attention towards me. 《Breathe, don't wrap your head before breaking it.》

《I must have lost my sanity, in that moment for having sex with him.》 She replies disconsolately, dropping dead weight on the sofa.

She stays with me for the night, she needed moral support. As soon as Mike comes to
and the thing reaches us immediately in the evening and helps me.

《Did you recover from yesterday's drink?》

《More or less, you?》I think back to that dream and I get chills.

《I had to take some medicine.》 he says it like it's a defeat, a wound to his pride.

《We're getting old, we can't handle it anymore.》I say laughing.

Mike gives me a playful nudge and then looks over at Momo, she was asleep after crying for hours, in fact we're talking softly.

《I'll be honest, it doesn't surprise me.》

《What doesn't surprise you?》

《About her and the professor》

I make a confused face.

《Momo always made comments of appreciation for the professor.》

Looking back, that's true. But from there to having sex with him...

《Do you think she did it on purpose?》

《Absolutely not, just see how destroyed she is. I would never think that about her, Momo is the most responsible and fair girl I've ever known.》 Mike says looking at her while she is dozing. She finally seems calmer.

I tell Mike that if he wants he can stay over and he accepts. I prepare the other sofa for him, on the opposite side of Momo and he sleeps there. I go to my room upstairs, and we all fall asleep.