21 | dating

I knock on a door, I don't have to wait long before a feminine figure with thick hair like a lion opens to me.

《Hey.》

《Hey.》

《Can I come in?》

《Depends. What do you have in that plastic bag?》

《Ice cream, your favourite 》 I raise the bag.

《Mh, yeah, that's fine.》

Hwasa lets me in, she's holding her nose but I know she's glad I'm here.

There is little light in the room; she is wearing her comfortable pyjamas. There is her computer, books and various notebooks on the table, I suppose she was studying.

I put down the bag with the ice cream and turn to her. I admit I'm nervous.

I clear my throat while with my eyes I search for a comfortable spot to rest my eyes on, Hwasa is burning me with hers.

《Sorry for how I treated you and for the words I said to you.》

She stands, staring at me, arms crossed.

《I wasn't lying, though; that's what I think. But I had to use another tone and maybe I should have told you about it first.》

As I finish my prepared speech, I watch her, waiting for a reaction from her.

《You know Chaerin, I was thinking about it, you are partly right. Yes, you were wrong to tell me that way but you are right.》 She reaffirms.

She scratches her head as she approaches me. We remain standing.

《For my part, I want to help you and make you happy, but just because I have good intentions doesn't mean I can do you any good.》

I nod.

《That's it, okay every now and then, but so insistently, it made me uncomfortable.》

She nods, understanding my point of view.

《But it doesn't justify me, I said some bad words to you, so I'm sorry.》

Hwasa smiles at me and comes to give me a hug, which I reciprocate immediately. I needed her warmth.

We sit on her sofa and talk as if nothing has changed between us.

I love her apartment, it belongs to the university, the ones they rent out. In the end, it is a two-room apartment, not very big but for students, it's just fine.

《Have you heard from your parents?》

We hadn't talked yet after what happened to her ... the night she got drunk and I had to take her to my bed with Jungkook. That night there she cried over something that had happened to her with her parents.

《No, they haven't contacted me yet. But they always check my grades.》

《Is that why you are studying like crazy?》

She nods. 《Exactly, I have to keep a not high average, but very high. I don't want them to come here to check on me.》

For the record, Hwasa's family have been doctors and nurses for generations and expect her to follow the same career as a nurse. She likes it, she didn't have to but she grew up in that environment anyway. She was kind of manipulated in my opinion.
For the record, pt.2: they don't know she's a lesbian, if they find out ... well, that would be the end.

But a voice has reached the ears of her parents and that's why she's waiting for them to tell her something. For now, all she can do is get good grades so as not to create suspicion.