3 | particular meetings

Before entering the building for classes I enjoy the little warm sun on my cheek.

"... the sunlight suits you."

I shake my head. I know I said I got through everything, I got over Jimin. But now and then, small fragments of memories come back to the surface...

Like now, the sun on my cheek reminded me of when he had "kidnapped" me and we were stuck cuz his car broke, anr we woke up at dawn after sleeping the night in the car. With that summer sun, he said to me that strange compliment.

How long has it been? 5 or 6 months? Seems like a lifetime to me.

All of a sudden my thoughts are cut short.

《Yah! Chaerin! You idiot!》

I roll my eyes and turn to see Michael run at a fierce pace towards me. I'm glad to see him, but he knows I hate being woken up like this from my moments when I disconnect from the world.

《Mike, what?》 I reply trying not to sound too annoyed.

As soon as he reaches me his lips come close to my ear.

《Do you realize who you fucked a couple of days ago?》

He detaches from me with a stiff face. Should I remember that?

《Uh, no?》

He slaps his face.
《Jongin!》

I make a face. 《Who?》

《KAI!》 He whispers half screaming.

《Ah. How do you know?》

He looks at me with an obvious expression, as if I have to take it for granted. 《You know that rumours here at SNU are the daily bread. I remind you that Kai is the evil queen's boyfriend, she will make you pay for it.》

《Sometimes I forget that nobody here minds their own business.》

We are on our way to the first lesson while Mike continues to lecture me, at times he feels like the male version of Hwasa.

Kai is the nickname Jongin uses. Almost everyone has it at SNU (Seoul National University). In this fantastic, honest and drama-free university.

A nickname was also given to me.

I block him before he continues further. I already have a headache.

《Mike, I don't feel like it. It's their shit if he cheated on her. And honestly, I don't even remember him.》

He snorts in surrender.
《Do as you want.》

《As always.》he looks at me with disappointment but with a sneaky smile.

I know he likes this indifferent side of me. He is like this too.

We arrive in class and sit down, preparing for the lesson.

Michael was my first friend here. The first who has not judged me for who I am, the first who knows everything about my past. He also knows the new me.

He is not Korean, he was born in New Zealand, but his parents moved here to Korea for work when he was little. But the cruel fate decided that they had to die in an accident, so we became friends quickly, having this in common. But also because we share a secret.

The lesson goes on normally until Mike approaches me to ask me something, I listen to him and in the meantime, I write some notes.

《After I left you in the bar, what happened?》 he refers to the night I saw Kai.