the conjuring but genshin

Xiao blinks. Which was the first sign something was wrong. Xiao was an Adeptus and did not need sleep, so why is he waking up? The answer stares at him, kneeling down at the couch Xiao was laying down on. "Master?"

Zhongli brightens up, "Xiao. You're awake"

Zhongli clambers to help Xiao sit back up. After making sure Xiao was fine, he sits on the seat opposite of him. The Fatui bastard sits on the handrest of the seat, to the right of Zhongli, and Xiao almost gets a stroke. Aether calms him down by patting his arm before sitting down next to Xiao.

"I know this is very disconcerting for you"

"Are we stating the obvious now? I tried to drown Liyue" Childe quips

"Childe, not now." Zhongli narrows his eyes at Childe, Childe kept on making banter when the situation did not call for it. Zhongli turns back to his yaksha, the same yaksha who didn't even respond to the person he suspected admitting the crime Xiao accused him of "Xiao. I hope this does not shock you too much. Know that I did not mean to keep it a secret from you. I wanted to tell you...in better circumstances"

Zhongli, Aether, and Childe silently stare at Xiao. Waiting for him to explode with anger or even to storm out. None of those happen.

Xiao laughs.

Zhongli growing increasingly worried calls out his Yaksha's name once again, "Are you fine with Childe and I?"

Xiao's eyes snap towards Zhongli, the hysterical mirth gone, replaced by anger. "How could you? With a Fatui nonetheless! A man who tried to drown Liyue, the pearl and the city you and Guizhong worked so hard to protect!-"

Oh, so Xiao did hear Childe admitting to that.

"-Why? He won't take responsibility for you! I can't believe you'd lay with a Fatui" He says the last word with venom that could make even Osial cry. "Why have you lowered yourself as so? That man is worthless scum at the bottom of your feet and should be ki-"

"Alatus" The voice echoes throughout the room. Zhongli may not have his gnosis anymore, it does not mean the years of living as an archon will cease to exist.

Xiao pauses and immediately gets on his knees, "Master. I have overstepped"

"That you have. I know it is a...difficult situation. One you might not easily understand. Childe was but a pawn in the contract between the Tsaritsa and I. His actions would not have come to that if we were not pulling the strings." Aether sneaks a glance toward Childe but there was no offense to Zhongli calling him a pawn and Aether could safely conclude that the Osial incident might have been the reason for a past fight but not the cause for the present tension between them.  "I treasure Childe greatly. Immensely so. I know you may not understand why but I hope you know that I think Childe is worth more than the scum you proclaimed him to be. In time, you will also see his worth."

Childe visibly becomes uncomfortable. Zhongli who had his back turned toward the redhead had not seen the harbinger's discomfort but Aether does. He narrows his eyes, observing Childe biting his lips to suppress a grimace, fidgeting and pulling the skin off his fingers. A complete 180 from the Childe who would flush and trip over himself if he even received a smidge of praise from Zhongli.

Zhongli smiles fondly. Truly, he was blessed to be with Childe.

Xiao does not look convinced and even less amused, "You are a dragon. You mate for life, you- He might, will- leave you if his job tells him so. He might not be evil but that does not make him trustworthy"