ten thousand words per day keeps the doctor away

"Damn that stupid oaf" Childe muttered under his breath, "can't even leave me alone for a few seconds. Fucking— little shit, it's like I'm taking to a rock."

Childe mindlessly stomped through the hallways, he had no idea where he was going but he hoped it was enough to put some distance between him and Zhongli. It's like everything he says goes into one ear and out another.

"Ajax-san!"

Childe pauses in his brooding and breaks out into a friendly smile to greet his two classmates, "Uraraka-chan and Iida-kun!"

"Are you going to the Development Studio as well?"

"Uh-sure, yes"

"We were so amazed when we saw Zhongli-san and Aether-kun's ultimate move! It was amazing!!" Uraraka cheers.

Childe mentally coos, he sees a younger Tonia in her. Endless positivity and gentle kindness. He had been feeling like he was back at home surrounded by Tonia, Anthon, and Teucer whenever he spent time with the class, this was the reason why he had asked them to call him Ajax instead of Childe. After all, Ajax was the name his younger siblings called him with. "You should tell that to Aether instead. He would be really happy to hear it from you guys"

"We will. Too bad, we weren't able to see yours and Xiao-kun's." Iida says, he had been hoping to see it after the other two.

"Sorry, don't worry, if there's an opportunity I'll show you guys" Childe promised.

"From what I see with your friends, you are all very highly skilled." Iida says, "Why exactly did you transfer to UA?"

'Oh no' Childe swivels his head from right to left, hoping Aether would just magically pop up and save him. Between them all Aether was the best at making up things. What was their excuse again? He couldn't even remember now. Something about repeating grades.

"...We're intellectually deficient"

Childe internally grins, Intellectually Deficient sounds very impressive. There's just something more eloquent and beautiful about calling yourself Intellectually Deficient.

Zhongli would be proud. (You're mad at him right now, his mind supplies unhelpfully. Ajax rolls his eyes, 'So? I always was a master of pretending everything is okay and ignoring my problems')

"Sorry, what?" Iida smiles at Childe like he wasn't sure what he heard.

"Zhongli and I-" Childe might as well drag the other two, after all, the more the merrier. "Aether and Xiao too, we're pretty Intellectually Deficient. So, we had to repeat a grade. A couple of times."

Sor-what?"

"Yes. We're very intellectually deficient. Aether doesn't know how to count."He's so convincing, Childe thinks to himself, "Xiao's mental capcity is that of a four-year old child. That's why he rarely says anything because he doesn't even know how to speak. It's a disease so best not to get to close to him. It's contagious, I'm afraid."

Childe cackles evilly in his mind, take that you goblin yaksha.

"I don't think it works that wa-"

"Yup. This is all true," Childe's smiles sweetly, his deadly weapon,  it's the smile that stole the heart of Liyue's most respected funeral consultant after all "Fax, no printer"

Iida narrows his eyes at Childe and the ginger feels his heart start beating so fast like the time he drank a mixture of vodka and coffee on a bet (Read: Scaramouche), did his smile not work? What's happening why doesn't he look convinced?, "There is no such thing as a wo-"