i need to stop thinking about your ass so i can think straight

The class left their room five minutes ago. Zhongli and Childe sat in silence ever since.

"Why did you not tell them we were married?" Zhongli asks the question that had been bugging him.

Zhongli sat still on the wooden table, he did not move not even an inch. His back was still towards Childe. Childe stares at the scratch marks on Zhongli's back that he left earlier. Childe had not moved since he laid down on their bed, he couldn't find the strength to sit. It already took the most of him to walk normally earlier downstairs.

"Well, it would've been weird to be married when we're supposed to still be in high school" Childe shrugs carelessly.

"I understand but calling us friends? Are you ashamed of us"

Childe blinks, now where did Zhongli's pretty head get that?

Zhongli now turns meeting Childe's eyes, a bit of fury and rage swirling in his eyes. Maybe sadness. "Then why? You have not been reacting well every time I bring up our marriage. I know you feel the same. You sleep in my bed, call out my name, you hold my hand. You married me yet somehow you make me feel as I'm the only one who cares about our relationship"

Childe grits his teeth. "What relationship. Oh, you mean the marriage you keep bringing up that I don't remember a single thing about?"

"Yes! Just because you don't remember doesn't mean it didn't happen." Zhongli shoves his hand towards Childe's face. A diamond ring with a small noctilucous jade on his ring finger, "This is our rings. That you put on me."

Childe sighs haggardly, dragging his hand down his face. "If I don't remember anything that happened then did it even happen at all"

Zhongli flinches, looking down as he avoids Childe's eyes. His voice comes out incredibly faint, "Then are you breaking your promise?"

"No! Yes! I mean—" Childe grunts in frustration "I don't...I don't know what I'm going to do. Would you know what to do if you suddenly found out you're married?"

"Yes. As long as it's you I married" Zhongli says resolutely, "What else can I possible need?"

Childe bites his lips. "Well, I'm not you. I'm not strong like that and thisthis marriage changes everything for me. All my plans down the drain"

"It doesn't have to" Zhongli reaches for Childe's hand and squeezes, "Your plan can still work. We can still work"

"No it won't. You know why? Because I was supposed to leave" Childe takes back his hand like he'd been burnt and looks away from Zhongli's eyes and the way it made his heart break. "Because I am leaving. To Inazuma or something a couple days from now."

Zhongli opens his mouth to protest but Childe cuts him off, "Even if I didn't have to leave, we still wouldn't work. It won't. I know it"

"You don't know that" Zhongli whispers. He grabs on Childe's sleeves like it could prevent him from moving even a single inch away from him. Childe rips his arm away from the other man and moves to leave. "Trust me I do"

Zhongli helplessly looks at Childe who was halfway out the door, "But you love me don't you?"

Because Zhongli wasn't sure about a lot of things. Life was unpredictable and living as long as Zhongli won't make life any less cruel. Zhongli was sure that he and Guizhong would be together forever and yet she had disappeared from his hands. There weren't a lot of things Zhongli was certain about but at the very least, he'd like to be sure about this.

But a glance at Childe's back had despair written all over it and he felt his resolve crumbling. Childe was slipping away from Zhongli just like she once was. Childe pauses at the door, his head bows in defeat to the inevitable loss he'd be facing in the face of imminent destiny, "I love you and I think I hate it"

∙•・◦●♟●◦・•∙

A/N: So a glimpse of how Childe and Zhongli's relationship. I think I made my Childe too cruel hehe. If my partner is an immortal, I'd feel the same.

Also, just wanna talk about the chapter title 'cause it's pun-ny. Haha. Get it? Childe need to stop being hornknee so he can think straight? Like- Nevermind, it's not funny anymore

Edit as of 12.07.2023: I changed the whole reason Childe and Zhongli fought so it would make more sense and in line in Childe's character. From "Zhongli asks the question that had been bugging him" is changed to current.