WE WERE ON A BREAK

'Ka-chick'

The gang sits on the couch as they wait for Aizawa, who excused himself to talk to a teacher for a few minutes. Now they were all sitting nervously in a conference room. Zhongli looked the most nervous, tapping his fingers on the table and his legs bouncing up and down. Aether was feeling scared and worried if they fucked up the trust that was given to them.  Even Childe was solemn but that was less because of what he did and more because whatever happened between him and Zhongli was still eating at him. The only person who seemed relaxed was Xiao.

'Ka-chick'

He also happened to be where the persistent camera sounds were coming from. When he learned how to use the camera, he immediately started taking pictures of anything that caught his interest on the way to the conference room. Now, that they were here and there was nothing interesting in this room he had taken to taking pictures of himself. Snapping pics from various angles, smushed to his face, from the top of his head, from the bottom. Well, Aether supposes, Xiao probably never bothered to look at a mirror for centuries so he wouldn't put it past him to not even know what his own face looks like.

"Aether, smile." Xiao shoves the camera to his face and he becomes a little cross-eyed.

'Ka-chick'

Xiao pulls back and checks the photo. A little smile on his lips as he shows off the photo he took to Aether, "You look pretty."

Aether blushes but instantly, his face drops. He gapes at the ugly picture of himself and he can't help but cringe in embarrassment. "Xiao, can you please delete that?"

"Huh?" Xiao asks looking up from the picture of Aether, "but you look adorable."

Aether flushes, red tinting his cheeks to the tip of his ears, "I-"

'Ka-chick'

"Xiao, would you stop taking pictures of yourself? Your father-in-law is going to jail."

Xiao pauses in taking more selfies, lowering the phone. "That'd be great."

Zhongli furrows his brows, affronted, "Childe is going to jail. Have a little compassion."

"He did that to himself", Xiao snorts. "Also, it's a good thing that you're not calling that Fatui 'love'. Please do it in the comfort of your own rooms."

'And far away from me' was left unsaid. Aether smiles, a little proud about Xiao handling this in a somewhat mature way. The fact he did not blow up when Zhongli just said Childe was his father-in-law (mental barf) was very impressive. Xiao's unspoken blessing for the couple should lighten up the couple's mood. Should is the keyword. Instead, they tensed up even more. Not they per se. Just Childe. It even seemed like he stop breathing entirely

"It's not happening."

All eyes snap towards Childe, "He isn't ever calling me 'darling' or 'love'. Period."

Zhongli stiffens as he fidgets with the ring on his finger, "I have given you space. Our argument will not change the fact we are married."

The other scoffs, "Is this what you call giving space?"

"Wait," Xiao looks up from his phone, eyes widening, before abruptly screaming, "YOU FOUGHT?!"

No one answers Xiao. The Yaksha goes ignored.

"Then are you divorcing me?"

"DIVORCE?"

"I—We just—,". Childe sighs, "We need a break. Time apart to think clearly."