shooting me in the face will be easier than this

Xiao is old. Very old . Not as ancient as Zhongli but it was close. He's seen Liyue's rise and fall, protecting it from various foes. He had witnessed his fellow yaksha's demise and his loved ones become the former shell of what they once were. His eyes had witnessed things an ordinary mortal could not stomach. He has seen, done, heard everything. Xiao had lived a long life.

He tires of it. Nothing can shake him anymore.

Except maybe this one.

"Wha- WHAT THE- what" Xiao screams, he doesn't know what he was trying to say or what face he was making. He doesn't fucking know. He wanted to laugh, scream and cry at the same time.

"Damn bro! Confessing like that in front of everyone? So manly" Kirishima pats Xiao's back so hard he might be coughing up blood. Or that might be from the shock.

Xiao splutters, "Confession!?"

Xiao's mind works overtime, speeding through the past 10 minutes. He tries to remember whatever it was that made them think he confessed.

Xiao gapes then have the audacity to blush, "Wh-What do you mean. I, I-"Xiao chances a glance at Aether who was with their other classmates"-don't LIKE-" Another glance at Aether and the tips of Xiao's ears turn red, "Aether that way" Xiao's voice turns into a small mutter.

"Are you sure you meant every word?"Uraraka asks

Xiao pales. The Childe in his head was looking down on him, sneering and saying 'A strong denial is an even stronger affirmation' 

No, no, no, no, Aether can never find out Xiao lik—No,, he meant Aether can never find out Xiao was— He— No, he doesn't like Aether that way! He was just a friend. A friend he is close with and will instantly teleport to if his name was uttered. Because that's what friends do. And if you find them adorable no matter what they do it's also very normal. Because friends.

"Yes! I meant every word. I'm not in denial. Take my words exactly as I said it" Xiao says, his ears flushing red. But wait.... Why was his strong denial (not that it was denial. He has nothing to deny in the first place) about Aether related to Childe at any way?

"O. M. G!!!" Mina squeals, "I did not expect that at all! I totally thought Ajax-kun and Zhongli-san was together, I guess I was wrong"

Xiao's eyebrow scrunches in confusion. Why were these people changing topics so fast? First there was Aether, who said l—Xiao doesn't even want to repeat it. Then suddenly, a confession? 'Which was not!' ,Xiao protests in his head. Lastly, how did these people know about Zhongli and Childe's prior relationship?

"Everybody, quiet" Xiao growls. He needed to quickly solve all these misunderstandings before they grow.

Everyone's chatter falls into a hush. Xiao sneers, "Listen up, you brainless mortals, I am just friends with Aether. Dijun—" Xiao jabs a thumb towards his master's direction, "—is no longer with Childe. I showed him he could do so much better. No, I do not like Childe"

There. Perfect. Everything's solved.

"Also, I'm not in denial" Xiao throws in just to be sure everyone knows he's not in denial.

"Pfffttt—"

"You don't like him, you love him"

"You showed Childe he could do so much better!!?"