part 1- the new girls an ass

Mia Willians hated almost everything about Minneapolis.

Mainly that it wasn't Chicago, it wasn't her school and it wasn't her life. Sure moving states seemed like a good choice from her fathers perspective, there was just too much change happening for Mia to bare.

First her mother, then her city.

On top of the torment that was brought with moving, her father wanted to take in the scenic drive, the scenic six-hour drive.

"You'll be alright, Mia.." He turned to see her gazing out the window, "I made sure there was hockey here and figure skating. Your new school has won many championships. You'll fit right in!" He tried to cheer her up.

Mia had looked into the school before taking on the drive, Eden Hall. Home of the Warriors and now, the Ducks. Every hockey player in the country was aware of the Ducks and their groundbreaking reputation, the underdogs that won every time.

More recently, their coach had to leave his job. Orion was offered some miracle job and parted ways with the Ducks. The school had practically begged for Gordon Bombay to return to his team, which un-reluctantly he did.

Her father desperately wanted her to join the team, like desperately. Mia found that it was the only thing he could seemingly talk about to her. Being a Duck didn't phase Mia, she would just be happy to play and skate.

Back in Chicago she barely got a chance to play, she was always sat on the bench. Anytime her coach took a chance to put her on, she would be sent off less than a minute after. The boys on the ice just seemed to push her buttons, they were so aggravating. If Mia had a cent for every time she was told to step aside from the 'boys game', she'd be beyond rich.

Along the way, the pair of movers stopped for food before hopping back in the car to enter the great state of Minnesota. The perfect city to play hockey in because it's always cold and the lakes are always frozen.

The car drove to Mia's new city, revealing her new life. It was a seemingly quiet town, not too big. They drive past diners and parks, children playing in the fall weather. Her father looked happy, probably for the first time in a while. He slowed the car down outside a house Mia had only seen pictures of, her house.

"Here we are Mia, we're home!" Her father cried out as he stepped out of the car.

Her father, Derek, hurried to the porch to open the door, fussing to get the right key. Mia stood beside him, ready to get out of the cold but as life usually went for the pair, something went wrong.

"I think the realtor gave us the wrong key, this one isn't working!" He called out to her, aggressively trying to push the through the keyhole.

"It's fine, dad. You can call her and I'll wait in the car.." Mia sighed.

"No honey, wait. Why don't you go check out the ice rink, your hockey stuff isn't in the moving truck. Go have some fun.." He sighed, taking out his phone to make the call.

Maybe that was a good idea, to clear her head on ice. Mia opened the trunk of her car to try to decide what she would lug across town with her for a short time on the ice. Deciding on her skates, puck and stick, she said goodbye to her dad before leaving.

Derek had given her a brief idea of where the rink was and it was common knowledge that directions weren't her thing. After asking people on the street where she might find the place, Mia arrived.

The rink was big enough, full of advantaged people enjoying a day out. Banners of green were hung all over that said 'Home of the Mighty Ducks' and a trophy sat in a display case. She sat down, put on her skates and headed for the rink.

Mia's skates glided along the ice, gracefully pulling her around the rink. She was in her element, practising turns and jumping with the stick in her hand. Eventually, she threw the puck down, allowing it to glide with her around the ice.

The noise around her didn't matter, she was doing what she loved.

If she had chosen to care at that moment, she would have noticed the large group of teenagers who were scurrying onto the ice, all staring at the way she skated.

If she had cared, she would have noticed the Ducks.

"Now who is that fine-looking thing!"

"Shush Goldberg, she might hear you!"

"Shush boys, Charlie do you know who she is?!"

The group was arguing with each other quietly, mainly because Goldberg had let one rip. They nominated Charlie to be the one to investigate her, breaking her from the zone she quite obviously was in.

"Hey!" He called out as he skated towards her, pausing her spin.

"Eh, hello?" Mia stood still as Charlie entered her personal space.

"Who are you, I've just never seen you around here?" He questioned, looking down on her.

"I'd hope so, since I just moved here.." She wasn't offering him information, mainly since she didn't care for a conversation right now.

"You know, I didn't catch your name.." He asked, turning to the group and back to her.

"Well, I didn't throw it.." She answered back.

Mia didn't want to be rude but the boy in front of her was acting like he owned the place. His green jersey confirmed her suspicion that he was a cocky captain. Mia bet that she was the first person he'd met that really didn't care that he lead a group of players.

"You're gonna have to get off the ice, Ducks practice starts now.." He was getting frustrated with her now.

"Where does it say that?" She asked him.

"We practice here at this time, everyone knows that.." Charlie answered back.

"It's a big rink, I'm sure you and your gang can share.." She said, glaring at him.

"We're losing precious time here, new girl.." He was smirking now, he thought he did something.

"We'll look at the time," She looked to her watch and then back to him, "Looks like I don't have time to deal with assholes. The rinks yours, I'll be anywhere else.." She scowled at him, picking up her puck and skating past him.

As the Ducks saw her coming, they cleared the exit, allowing her to skate clearly to the exit. She paused climbing out of the rink, however, turning around to the hockey players.

"Your captains an ass, just so you know.." She commented before walking back to her stuff to get ready to leave.

Most of the Ducks burst out laughing, taking Connie and Julie to shut them up. Charlie was still standing in the middle of the ice, dumbfounded by the new girl. He hadn't even caught her name.

Although she didn't throw it.

The Ducks wanted to know who the mysterious girl that seemed to dislike Charlie was so that skated to him to ask.

"Who was she?" Averman asked.

"She's an ass, just so you know.." Charlie mutter, glaring at her through the glass.

Mia hurried out of the building, bumping into someone along the way and accidentally dropping her stick and skates. the stranger picked them up and handed them to her.

"Do you play?" The mystery man asked her.

"Yeah, I-" She looked up to him, instantly recognizing who the man was, "Holy shit your Gordon Bombay. You know, your Duckies just kicked me out.." She mentioned.

"Really? You can come back inside, I'd like to see you on the ice.." Bombay spoke.

"I have to meet my dad but, next time.." She smiled before cutting past him.

Bombay was left a little confused and decided to go inside, not telling the Ducks about his encounter. For the Ducks, Sophomore year was about to begin and that meant that the season was going to begin.

The Mighty Ducks we're gonna need a new player.

And Mia was in need of a new team.