part 17- dereks sister

Mia was a bit all over the place.

In that state of mind where you are thinking the worst of everything and your brain wants to melt. That state of mind that you really wish you did live under a rock so you wouldn't have to live like this anymore.

She was sitting at the kitchen table, just staring off into space and thinking. No food or work in front of her, just staring.

Then the phone rang.

She let it ring a few times before taking it off the hook to reluctantly answer it.

"I'm gonna be honest, I called the wrong number and called someone's grandma a bitch.." The person on the other end of the line spoke.

"Aunt Sarah?!" A smile immediately hit Mia's face.

"Who else would it be? Sorry for not calling, I was in France. Plus, my brother was supposed to call with your new number and I think he forgot about that.." She spoke.

"You know how he is.." Mia sighed, Sarah knew she was talking about the empty bottles that filled the living room.

"How's Mississippi? Daft and dull? I always thought that that place was irrelevant.." She asked.

"It's actually alright, I've got friends and a new hockey team. I'm playing on team USA in like, two months!" Mia told her aunt.

"I'll book my flights, god it feels like you've grown up without me!" Sarah replied.

"How's life in Germany? Any cute german guys sweeping you off your feet?" Mia joked, extending the wire to its max while trying to get a snack from the pantry.

"Oh god no, how about you, any Mississippi men?"

"Actually-"

"Why didn't you start with this?! God Mia, you cannot withhold information like this from me!" Sarah yelled out.

"His name is Andrew, he's sweet and on the varsity team. We um, we went to homecoming together and stuff.." Mia explained, although her aunt knew something was up.

"Uh-huh, and who's the other guy?"

"What?!"

"I'm not dumb, Ms Willaims, who's the other guy?" She asked.

"He is a stupid, dumb, brain dead and ruins everything. The first time I saw him he was a dick to me, then for like two months, he was a dick to me. Then at homecoming, he cornered me off into a classroom and we yelled at each other and then he kiss me. He's ruining everything!" Mia ranted.

"Did you kiss him back?"

"What?!"

"Did you?!"

"Maybe.."

"Look at my little niece, in a love triangle-" Sarah giggled.

"I do not like Charlie Conway, I hate him.." Mia scoffed.

"I read a book once where the main characters hated each other and then, in the end, they fell in love. Now I'm no psychic, but I'm just saying-"

"Well then don't talk, please. I like Andrew, he's a good guy.." Mia tried to explain.

"But there's something wrong with him, isn't there?" Sarah asked.

"Well, he kinda suits himself a lot and doesn't get it when things are important to me. Sometimes he blows me off for people he doesn't even like.." Mia explained.

"Fucking dumb him and date that Charles guy!" Sarah yelled, a swish of liquid in the background that was probably her wine.

"But it feels like I've cheated on him, cause of that dickwad.." Mia sighed.

"You're in a tight spot, once I dated this celebrity that got jealous when a waiter asked me what I wanted to eat, I only stayed because he was hot and had that bag.." Sarah told her.

"Who was it?!" Mia gasped.

"I sighed a confidential thing, can't say.." She paused, "Tom Cruise. But anyway, you are in a tight situation but I say, be single, focus on yourself. Sooner or later, your boyfriends gonna find out and it's not gonna be pretty. Rip off the bandage.." Sarah gave her advice.

"Maybe I should, I'll see.."

Maybe it was right, to let Andrew go. But when does any Duck make a logical choice, or have a logical reaction?