part 18- guilty or innocent

She never wanted to lead anyone on.

It happened to a friend of hers in Chicago, a guy trailed her along for months and she fell for it, all while he was sleeping with someone else on the side. It broke her friend. So all the guilt from the Charlie kiss curled up inside of her and she couldn't take it anymore. The constant thought that someone else would tell Andrew about what happened pushed her to make the choice.

She was gonna tell him.

Lunch was set in what seemed to be the only food establishment in town, the diner. Mia arrived twenty minutes early and sat nervously, watching Casey Conway serve tables and acting as a constant reminder of what words were about to spill out of her mouth. She became thirty-seven minutes early when Andrew when arrived late, not apologising for it but instead just sitting down and looking at the menu. It had been almost a month since the dance, early December showing as Andrew pulled off his snow-covered jacket and began to ramble about the varsity team.

"And Rick just hit it straight at his-"

"Andrew I've got to tell you something.." Mia interrupted him, he looked confused and put the menu down to see what she had to say.

"What is it, babe?" He asked.

"A few weeks go, at the dance, something happened with Charlie-"

"Did he hurt you? Cause I'll hurt him. I've wanted a reason to punch that dickhead, tell me now Mia.." He edged forward in his seat, staring me down.

"When I went to the bathroom, he followed me into some classroom and we argued. Then he kissed me.." Mia's voice dropped when she saw his face, saw the colour it became.

"So you cheated on me? I should have known you would turn out like that!" He raised his voice and everyone turned around to stare, he realised that all the yelling he was going to do would have to be done in private.

"No Andrew, he kissed me and I pulled away you have to believe-"

"You can't be trusted. This whole relationship was built on a lie. Were you just using me to get to my team? You were, weren't you!" His voice filled with anger and his words stung like venom.

Never once had she been scared of her boyfriend, until now.

"Were done, everyone's gonna know how you whore yourself around and sleep with any guy that gives you attention? How many other members of that team have you fucked?" He spat.

"I never slept with anyone Andrew, you know that!" Mia defended.

"Yeah well, I can't believe a word out of your mouth, now can I?" He took his jacket and left, slamming the door of the diner behind him and leaving the eyes of everyone eating on Mia.

She decided to leave to avoid the gossip and left the diner, heading home in the pouring snow, wondering if she had just ruined one of the only good things in her life. But it wasn't her that broke everything, it was Charlie.

He had no idea that Mia ever planned to speak a word of that night to anyone, carrying out his day as normal and practising along the ice. He was alone, taking some personal practice hours to improve himself. 

When he saw Andrew standing outside of the rink with a blood-hungry look, I think he knew what was about to happen.