part 10- a strike and a bullseye

My father wanted a hockey dynasty.

He wanted the names of his children to be screamed from the stands, crying out in pure amazement at their capability. Derek let Mia's mother through the sport, he was a player and she went to every single game. He wanted four children, three boys and a girl, all hockey players. He got a girl first, then Mia's mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.

His dreams came crumbling down when she refused to have another child, not wanting to put a newborn in the middle of all this mess. Mia was three when her mother received the news and seven when her mother got told she was cancer-free.

A year later, it returned.

Mia was fifteen when her father sat her down in their old Chicago home, two weeks off her sixteenth birthday, when he told her it was time to say goodbye.

Mia didn't celebrate her birthday that year.

She would have liked to see this day, the day her daughter was preparing for her first date. No doubt she would have been sitting on the bed, asking every question she could about this Andrew guy. Mia thought about that when putting in her earrings, how her mother would react.

Derek thought about it too, the second he was informed that a varsity hockey boy that could one day make captain was taking his daughter bowling, what would his dear Lizzie say. She would probably tell him that a date like this is all about growing up and that he needs to accept that his little girl isn't so little anymore.

Andrew was going to pick her up, he had a truck and a permit. His green pickup truck pulled up outside the house, Mia looked out one of the windows and saw him fixing his hair in the tiny mirror, it made her smile. Derek half expected him to honk the horn of his car as a signal of his arrival but no, he arrived up to the door.

"Mr Williams, Andrew Foster, it's a pleasure to meet you, sir.." He shifted the bouquet to his other hand, offering a shake.

"Nice to meet you, Andrew. My daughter should be ready to go, please come inside.."

Mia decided on her blue floral dress, simple and sweet. She never expected flowers, but she accepted them, leaving the room to put them in some water, leaving Andrew and Derek to their own devices.

"I want her home by 10:30.."

"Of course, sir."

"No alcohol, your both underaged and athletes, I mean it."

"I-"

"Would you stop hassling him and let us leave, please?" Mia interrupted, taking Andrews hand and hurrying her father's interrogation along.

"Fine, drive safe.." He said as they walked towards the door.

"Bye, dad!" She waved him off.

Andrew opened the car door for Mia, letting her into his messy truck and running around to the driver's seat.

"So, where are you taking me tonight, Andrew?" She smiled at him, he was starting the car.

"Well, I thought about ice skating but then I think we needed a break, so I settled on bowling.." Andrew explained. Mia loved bowling.

They pulled up at the bowling alley, giggling their way to the shoe stations and being given a lane number.

"You're going down, Mia.." Andrew smirked, picking up the purple ball and heading to make his shot.

"In your dreams, Andrew.." He wasn't the best bowler, she could tell.

They played a few rounds, Mia taking the lead with flying colours and rubbing every bit of her win in Andrews's face. He asked what food she wanted, heading off to grab it. All though Mia was sitting at the ally waiting, she wasn't alone.

"Fancy seeing you here, Williams.." A voice behind her spoke.

"I'm five seconds away from telling you fuck off.." She whispered to herself, she heard.

"That's a very strong reaction.." Charlie laughed.

"Your bowling here, alone?" She laughed at his loneliness.

"Is there a problem?"

"Other than your face, your personality, your hockey skills, your-"

"I get it. Why are you here alone?" He mocked.

"I'm actually on a date, for your information. He's getting food.." Mia looked over and saw him collecting the food.

"Oh yes, with the variety preppy. That idiot-"

"Hello to you too, Charlie Conway.." Andrew was behind him, holding out food.

He didn't even seem to scare, he just picked up a bowling ball and threw it, getting a strike.

"Why don't you just go home, Conway.." Andrew asked him, Mia sat back with her food.

"I paid for this already, Foster, I think I'll stay.." Charlie rolled his eyes, launching the ball again, getting another strike.

Andrew saw that and picked up his bowling ball and threw it, strike.

Charlie picked up his again, strike.

"Okay, you know what, let's go. We can bring the food with us, Andrew come on.." Mia picked up her food and took Andrews hand, leaving Charlie alone.

"Enjoy the rest of your date!" He called out to her in sarcasm.

"Fuck you!"

They stepped outside of the bowling alley, the fresh air of autumn hitting them and all of Andrews angry brushed away.

"I'm sorry Andrew, Charlie will do anything to piss me off.." Mia apologized.

"Mia it's okay, don't worry about it.." Andrew smiled, putting his hand on her shoulder.

"No it's not okay, he just-"

His hand slipped to the back of her neck and it stopped her apology. He pulled her towards him, crashing his lips down on hers. Both of their faces grew warm as she wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him back.

But behind the glass windows, one figure stood there, not knowing what to do. Instead of saying anything to the pair. he picked up the payphone a few feet away and dialled a number.

"Hello?" The person answered.

"Connie, I've done something bad, Connie I don't think I hate her.."