part 2- connies a friend

It was safe to say that Conway and Williams hated each other.

Maybe not hate, maybe mildly disliked each other, bordering on hate. But when he practically instructed her to get off the ice because his ego thought he could, it left an impression.

First impressions do in fact mean everything.

However the next day, two people had the mystery girl in mind, one being Connie Moreau.

She had been the one to watch Mia skate, the first to point her out to the group. Connie didn't care what Charlie had said, mainly since the mystery girl had said the exact same thing. So the very next day, she went on her very own scouting mission. The objective, find out who the girl Charlie hated was.

Mia started her day normally, well as normal as you can get with a new city and new life. She ate breakfast by the TV, got dressed, picked up her skates and said her goodbyes. She headed for the rink like she had done the day before, making note of the time when she entered as she wanted to avoid the Ugly Ducklings, or Ducks.

Who really cares.

About 15 minutes later, she had the ice to herself. It was still early morning, so the ice was raw, perfect. She began with laps, occasionally practising a move or two. With the lack of people, Mia took it as a great time to practice scoring.

Undoubtedly, the hothead had an issue with being sent off. But in those few moments of playing time, she granted the team a goal. Her shot had power, aim and above all, a promise to hit the back of the net.

As she played in a kind of her own, Connie arrived at the building. She sat far back on the bleachers, studying how great of a player the new girl was. Although she thought she would be alone, not caught.

Until the other person that had Mia on their mind showed up.

"Looks like we both had the same idea.." The person spoke and Connie flicked her head back to see who it was.

"Coach Bombay, I just wanted to see if she was good, I didn't mean to-"

"Hey, relax, I wanted to see her too.." He sat down beside her, looking down on the girl on ice.

They sat silently and watched, taking in the performance Mia didn't even know she was giving. The spins, jumps, hits of the puck. It didn't matter.

"You know," Connie spoke after many moments had passed. "Charlie hates her.."

"Really? After what, one conversation?"

"You know our Charlie, he's very strong-minded.." Connie laughed.

"Do you know anything about her?" Bombay asked.

"No, she left before anyone else could ask her anything.." Connie replied.

"You should talk to her Connie, I'm sure it would be nice for her to have some friends in this town.." He offered.

"That was my plan anyway, Coach. She seems nice, I wouldn't take Charlie's word on it.." She stood up, revealing her skates and put them on before heading to the ice.

Connie was immediately noticed by Mia, mainly since it was only the two of them on the ice and Connie was heading straight towards her, landing at Mia's face.

"Hi! Connie Moreau, pleasure!" She smiled, extending her hand.

"Mia Williams, nice to meet you.." She said, taking the human ball of sunshine hand and shaking it.

"I'm sorry for Charlie yesterday, he was in a bit of a mood.." She spoke, gesturing for her to skate and talk with her.

"Well, I don't really do people like that, changing their attitude based on their mood.." Mia skated beside Connie.

"Where are you from, cause like Conway said, we've never seen you around here before.."

"Chicago, I moved here yesterday with my dad. So are you one of the Ducks?" She asked.

"Yeah! I have been for over five years now. We all go to Eden Hall nows so, the team lives on.." Connie explained.

"I'm meant to start there when school begins, it's nice to know I know people there.." She smiled.

"You know what, you should meet everyone! I'll get them here! Charlie is working today, at the diner with his mom, so you can meet the guys in peace.." Connie offered as we neared the rinks exit.

Mia thought about it for a moment, it seemed like a good plan but depending on what Conway told them, they may choose their captain's side. But one can always try.

"Let's do it.."