part 11- chicago day dreams

Andrew Foster wasn't a duck, as much as he wanted to be.

Ever since their date, Mia had welcomed Andrew to sit and talk to her friends at lunch. He feared what would happen to him when the varsity team found out but, he sat. Everyone had their own opinions on him, mostly positive. But the glow of negativity admitting from Charlie could blind you.

He hated that Andrew worked his way into each part of his life. When he trained, Andrew was watching from the bleachers. When he was in class, Andrew was sat in front of him. When he ate his ham sandwich, Andrew was giggling his heart out with his arm around Mia.

She didn't care, she didn't notice. Mia was swept off her feet by him. Their first date was over three weeks ago and when he asked her to be his girlfriend, she agreed in a heartbeat. Derek tried to tell her not to make her life about Andrew, he was scared that if she gave up too much of her time every day to him and they broke up, what would happen?

Connie had her own opinion on their relationship, the idea of them being together was amazing until Charlie called her. She didn't know what to think, who's side to take and what to do.

She knew one thing, Charlie Conway is the biggest idiot she had ever met.

Mia and Connie were walking down the hall, preparing for their next class, when they noticed a group of giggling blondes surrounding something stuck to the wall.

"What are the barbie dolls fussing about?" Mia whispered to Connie.

"I'm not sure, I can't see anything.."

When they scattered, a poster hung on the wall.

"A dance? Really?" Mia turned to Connie as she read the details.

"It seems like a formal or something. You should go, with Andrew!" Connie immediately regretted what she said.

"That's an amazing idea!"

Mia had never been to a school dance, last year her mom was too sick and she didn't want to leave her. The dance was in late October, Mia hated October.

The first week in October was when her mom died, which was only a year ago. Her dad had already told her he was too busy to drive up to Chicago to see her grave, he wasn't able to help Mia mourn properly. October was only a week away and Mia wasn't prepared to think about Lizzie, she didn't know what she would do.

Mia was distracted for the entire class, the whole way till lunch. Not that she wanted to, her mind was scatted and twisted. So much so that she didn't even hear the bell.

"Hey, earth to Mia.." Andrew called her attention.

"Andy, sorry, did the bell go?" She asked.

"Yeah, you were busy thinking, come on.." He picked up her bag and took Mia's hand, leaving the class.

"Did you see the posters for the school dance?" Mia asked him as they headed to lunch.

"I did, there not really my thing, I'll probably just stay home and order a pizza.." Andrew spoke.

"Oh okay, I was gonna go, I think Guy was gonna ask Connie.." Mia hinted.

"Yeah, he has like, a massive thing for her.." He didn't pick up on it.

They sat down, Andrew was not interested in Mia but in what the boys had to say. It was fine, Mia wanted to talk to Connie anyway.

"Did he ask you yet?" Connie whispered to Mia.

"Worse, he's not gonna go to the dance at all.." Mia informed her.

"Your kidding, right?" Connie was surprised, to say the least.

"He said they weren't really his thing, like what the hell?!" Mia changed her tone so nobody else would hear her.

"Just go with me, I'm going by myself, it will be fun.." Connie suggested.

"It's alright, I'll try to change his mind.." Mia didn't want to mess up Connie's potential yes to Guy's dance question.

They talked about class and hockey, relaxing before their next class when they realized someone wasn't there.

"Wheres Conway?"

A quick scan of the lunchroom found Charlie sitting elsewhere, talking to one person in particular. Mia and Connie couldn't make out who it was, only able to see the back of their head, but the boys were cheering him on.

Mia didn't understand why it bother her, why it affected her so much. She didn't get it.

He stayed there all lunch king, chatting to the mystery brunette. No matter how interesting conversations got, Mia found her eyes walking to Charlie.

It didn't matter but, Charlie was doing the exact same thing.

When it was time to go back to class, Mia decided that for her, the school was over. It was a rare day where she had no hockey training and a day that was usually dedicated to homework catch up. She didn't think she would miss much anyway, so Mia escaped home.

Derek was at work, he never needed to know. Sitting upstairs in her room, Mia looked over and the phone, deciding to make a call of her own.

"Hey, Aunt Sarah?"

"Is that Mia?! Hey, hello from Germany, how's Minneapolis? Your dad hasn't called me yet and I'm just home from France, I was dying to call!" Aunt Sarah was good at rambling.

"It's okay so far, not Chicago but, it's okay.."

"Well it will never be Chicago dear, I'll be home for Christmas! I forgot to say it! I'll fly into Minneapolis a week before the big day and we can all venture to Chicago together!" She said in excitement.

"Really?! I haven't seen you in so long! That will be amazing!" Mia responded.

"Your father told me you have a boy toy in the go, his name is Albert or something.." She asked.

"Andrew, he's pretty great.."

"But?"

"But, there is a school dance. He doesn't wanna go.." Mia explained.

"Well then go on your own, have fun with your friends! You don't need Albert-"

"Andrew.."

"Same thing, whatever. I have to fly, work calls me. But I'll call you soon dear, I miss you, Mia.." Sarah spoke

"I miss you too, see you soon!"

Mia hung up the phone and flopped onto the bed, thinking about the dance and her mother.

God, how much she wanted to talk to her mother right now.