part 7- that thing in january

The Ducks are a strong team, more like a strong family.

Honestly, Mia didn't want to break into a family's reunion, they seemed to have not been together all summer and now Coach Bombay was coach again, the dream team was back.

Dean was happy to pull her into the group, Connie was happy to laugh with me and Charlie was not happy to see me getting along with his friends.

"Alright, alright!" Bombay called for their attention. "Now, before we get started, we need a quick warm-up. So Dwayne, are you ready?" He asked the cowboy.

"Wait what's happening?" She quickly asked Dean.

"Don't get lassoed, Willams.." He skated past her, then she realized that this here was a game of chase.

"Ah shucks here we go again, fellas!" Dwayne cried out in his country accident, everyone moving as far away as possible, "I'm onto you, the new critters are gonna get it!"

Apparently, Dwayne had done something similar at a game, he just hopped out and lassoed a guy to save Connie back, not that she needed it. He was nicknamed 'The Cowboy', rightly so, he brought Texas to the ice.

Mia bumped into Ken, she knew him from his reputation. An Olympian turned hockey star, who would have thought?

"Mia Williams.." She said as she noticed him, Dwayne was on the other side of the ice.

"Ken Wu, are you a figure skater? I've seen your form.." Ken asked.

"I am, I know you are too.." She reminded him of his fame.

"Are you still practising, it's hard to find time on top of hockey.." Ken asked.

"When I can, your right, it's hard to find the time-" Mia replied but Dwayne was fast approaching.

Splitting off, Mia skated to the left and Ken to the right. People were giggling, laughing about Dwayne. Eventually, Bombay realized his skaters were just too good, dodging was too easy, so was the idea of sacrificing your peers to the lasso.

Bombay called them all close, probably to give some big speech about bravery, honour, friendship and new recruits. I mean who really cares, we're all just here for the hockey.

"So team, I'm sure we've all met Mia, she's going to be joining us this season. We're all going to be friends here," He glared at Charlie, "Because I've got some important news.."

Excitement tumbled through the team as they whispered about what the news might be, not even giving Bombay a chance to tell them.

"Calm down, calm down! The news is, we're going to be playing as team USA again!" He cheered.

Team USA was probably the highest position Mia could probably play at this level, this was the big dogs. Iceland, Spain, France, the whole nine yards. This made her career in hockey and would put Mia on the map.

Of course, Charlie was excited, this was one of the best times of his life, these were some of his best memories. He briefly thought about how his memories will now be tampered by Mia's presents, she would be there from now on. Charlie needed to move on, he couldn't for some reason. He was always so stubborn.

"Everyone here will be attending, although we're gonna have to wait till after January to attend because it doesn't start for a while. In the meantime, we are going to play the Varsity team. So, we have to get training.." Bombay spoke, gesturing us into the ice once more.

The training would be hard, gruelling and long, moving to get rid of every weakness. Someone should probably mention Luis' incapability to stop skating and Mia anger issues. Although the training was over before anyone could bring it up.

After they'd trained, Mia stayed back for a moment. She had to practice, even if it was brief, her figure skating. Ken was right in what he said, hockey took up time and she wasn't looking to give up this hobby anytime soon. Mia thought the stadium was empty, that the light would be turned off automatically but as she completed a turn, she noticed Bombay in the stands.

"Hello to you too.." She called out to him and he approached the ice.

"Dean said you figure skater, I wanted to talk to you.." He said, stepping onto the ice.

"I'm all ears.."

"I want you to come to California, I know it's in four months and this is a new team but I still want you to join in. I spoke to your old coach, he sent me tapes of you playing, your good.." Bombay spoke.

"How much playtime did you get? Two minutes per game? Dean says I have a rage issue.." She sniggered, Bombay laughing too.

"If we can get Luis to be able to hit the brakes, I'm confident we keep you on the ice. When you're on, even though it's a short period of time, you score. I think you and Charlie could be somewhat of a dream team.." He commented.

"More like a nightmare, coach.." Mia commented back.

"You and Charlie are going to have to learn to work together, for the team's sake. We have a game at the end of the week, I'd like to see some co-operation.." He asked very nicely.

"I'll see what I can do, coach.." Mia spoke before leaving the ice to start her journey home.

Mia skated home from her first day of school, alone, under dim-lit streets. Darkness had fallen, the parks were cleared of children and when she turned to her street, she saw her father had left the porch light on.

When she arrived through the door, her father was sitting on the sofa, surrounded by unpacked boxes. He was glaring at the TV, it's like the door opening didn't even phase him.

"Hey, dad.." She muttered as she walked into the room.

"How was hockey?" He didn't take his eyes off the TV.

"Why don't we talk about something other than hockey, for once.." I suggested.

"I asked you how hockey was, I expect an answer, Mia.." He said more seriously.

"It was fine, I got on team USA which I guess is fine-"

His head jolted from the TV, he was ecstatic. This was a part of his dream for Mia, this was how she was going to make it big in his eyes. It almost made Mia want it a bit less.

"This is amazing, this is, this is amazing!" He cried out in excitement.

"It's not till January, but I have a game this Friday, against the Varsity team.." Mia invited him.

"I'll be there!" He was calming down and sitting down on the chair now. "Just do me a favour and try to stay on, make it worth my while showing up.."

Not at all shocked by this comment, Mia left the room to make dinner and do homework. Maybe she could try to conceal some anger, to stay on. It would be worth her while, she could get a game out of it. But who knows, that plan could go out the window the second that she stepped foot on the ice.