Partial Revelation

Sunaina's POV

'Yours,
The Author Ayu'- These words seemed to have got stuck inside my head. It's still hard for me to believe that I am trapped inside my favourite book. A day ago I was just busy in my life, getting codes, developing different softwares and trying to fulfill the different requirements given by our clients, go home, take care of my parents and go to sleep. That was my daily routine. I was used to the screaming of my supervisor or the mocking laughs of my colleagues because of the way I presented myself. I was also used to the frequent praises I received from my project managers at the end of every venture. Infact, I was lucky enough to lead multiple projects by myself. To be honest, despite being surrounded by so many people, I always used to feel lonely. My only ray of sunshine was Preeti and Abhisekh with whom I seemed more comfortable. These days Abhisekh has started creating a distance with me. Maybe it's my fault but I am really tired of being ignored. Ever since I was a child, I was afraid to be alone and ironically as an adult I feel that tinge of loneliness- every day, every night! I was finally brought back to my so called reality when Nandini exclaimed, "Oh my god!! You look stunning after just a little application of make up!" Suprised, I looked at myself in the mirror and it was my turn to be shocked. In front of me sat a maiden draped in a peacock blue coloured saree touched up with a silver border. Her usually short frizzy hair has now been straightened up to look more like tiny waves of the sea. Her lips coloured with crimson lipstick while her eyes had the  perfect lining of mascara, something she could never imagine. She realised that the maiden in front of her started to smile.

"You look incredible when you smile." Nandini was ecstatic probably because she herself did this miracle on me. Wait? She said smile? I thought to myself and smiled again. This time bitterly. Except Preeti, hardly anyone ever said that to me. Usually it's either 'you are so plain' or 'your friend's so pretty'. Never was I complimented like that and it felt good. Nandini made sure I looked my best even in my nerdy glasses. I turned my gaze at her.

"Thank you so much Nandini." My voice was heavy with emotions. She seemed to be confused at my sudden declaration of gratitude. I hugged her tightly and smiled. She reminded me of my best friend. I was sure, Nandini was dumbfounded because no one ever hugged a maid here before. Atleast that's how these fictional books work right? Well it wasn't like Nandini was one of the characters about whom I read in the book. When we broke the hug, I saw her eyes were moist, probably with all the dejection, she didn't expect that someone can hug her- a maid. Just what I expected! We smiled at each other. Just then Gayathri Devi entered our room. Seeing her, Nandini bowed her head and left the room. I smiled at her and touched her feet showing her my respect. She blessed me by saying, "Always be happy my dear." That seemed such an ironical blessing for a girl like me. I controlled myself from sighing and got up.

"Thank you for this dress. Honestly, this is too beautiful to be worn by me." I smiled.

"Don't speak like that my dear. You deserve nothing less than this." She smiled back. Seeing her so gentle towards me, I wanted to tell her the truth right away. In her, I was seeing my late grandmother. I felt it was necessary for her to know the truth. But it started to bother me now if it was really okay. Should I keep everything a secret from her about me coming from another world? Should I tell her that the world she is living in is actually a world of fiction? How will she take it? What if she thinks I am a lunatic afterall our encounter wasn't that much of a great one. What if she thinks I am an imposter trying to hurt her family? In the book, she was a very scary lady. I remember how she used to dominate Abhay and how she was strict towards Arjun. Why will she trust someone whom she met a few hours ago.

"Shall we go then?" She asked. I pulled myself out of these thoughts and decided on not telling her anything since after today, we won't be meeting again. I smiled and nodded and left the room with her.