|Ch 7|

"If I don't make it back before the sun all you have to do is run just promise me you'll run & don't look back" -Miguel

Tyson Easten•
"East"

I swallow my nerves holding her hand as I knock on my moms front door. "I'm so nervous." She whispers and I can see her shaking. I don't know if it's because it's freezing outside or she's really scared.

Shit I'm scared too. Last girl my mom met damn near broke me. Now I'm healed and finally found somebody I want to be with forever so I just want my mom to like her. And she should, Brooklyn is a sweet girl. She'll meet her and see why I love her like I do and soon she'll love her too.

"Don't be she'll love you baby." I reassure her kissing her on her forehead. She smiles her hand tightening around mine.

The door opens seconds later and my mom smiles at the both of us but Brooklyn mainly. "Oh my god is there her? She's gorgeous!" She exclaims reaching over she pulls her into a hug.

"Ma she's cold out here." I mention with a laugh.

My mom smacks her lips. "Boy hush. Not my fault I'm just excited to meet her. Come on in sweetheart." She moves aside letting Brooklyn in and I follow in behind her.

"It's so nice to meet you Ms. Easten." Brooklyn expresses politely.

"Please call me Gabby." She says fanning her off.

A smile forms on my face throughout the entire time they talk. The conversation going well and my mom basically loving her. It only took a shift when she asked Brooklyn what she was planning after graduation.

"Uh well Howard accepted me and I've always wanted to major in Nursing so..." she trails.

I side eye her feeling my stomach turn but I stay silent letting my mom get excited. "Congratulations! That's such an accomplishment. Finally my son has somebody with their head on straight. And not somebody that's just trying to follow him around but has their own plans."

Her words sink in and Brooklyn avoids my eyes knowing she's wrong. "Yeah congratulations." I reply giving a fake smile. I am happy for her trust me I know how much becoming a nurse means to her. But it's fucked up that I have to find this out right here and right now. Not from her.

"My son didn't tell me any of this," my mom mentions giving me a weird look. "Are you two planning on staying together or are you staying on campus? You know moving away together is a big step."

"Can we talk about that later mom?" I suggest feeling myself start to grow a little agitated.

She nods giving me an understanding look. The rest of the time went smooth and she asked her more questions and they got to know eachother more.

Me I didn't have much to say in that moment but later I'd find all the words I was lacking.

• • • •

"Oh my god thank you babe I love it!" She screams wrapping her arms around my neck hugging me planting kisses on my face.

"No problem," I smile. "I know you haven't been yourself lately. I just wanted to cheer you up." I admit letting go of her as she quickly turns around going through the bags of perfumes, scented body washes, designer fits and jewelry I got her.

It seems like since a couple nights ago when it was a crazy storm she hasn't been herself. It was easy to notice how sometimes she'd be silent and she seems slightly distant. I can still feel the love there and see it in her eyes so I know that's not it. She coincidentally wasn't texting me that night either but she said she was slumped asleep in her bed. I don't want to be insecure or have even worst trust issues so I didn't question it much. I'm just hoping she's not losing feelings or thinking about bailing on us. I've been so worried about making her feel worse that I haven't even mentioned her getting accepted into Howard. The last thing I want is for her to think I'm trying to stop her from accomplishing her dreams. That would just push her two steps backwards away from me.