|Ch18|

•Damai Nathaniel's•
"Dame"

I lay back in my apartment letting the silence of it fill me. It's been a day since I got shot, after sleeping on Gigi's couch for a hour or two I caught a taxi to the store for some pain meds then caught another one home.

I didn't realize how lonely I'd feel. It was like my worst fears was coming through. With Vera gone it feels like I have nobody. Brooklyn promised that she'd always be here but after watching the news and it reading Possible double homicide in Westlins Airbnb, one male in his early twenties Tyson Easten found deceased, another male in his early twenties blood traces found, a woman in her early twenties was found fleeing the crime scene.....

So from what I'm guessing she's in jail. I don't know what to do. I don't know if it'll make things better or worse and as of now it's too risky to try to get in touch or go up to the station. It's just fucked up because just like I predicted I'm all alone. Me and East were damn near like brothers and now he's dead, Brooklyn's locked up, Vera's dead. It's like I have nobody now.

The sound of somebody knocking at my door sounds. I stand up limping slightly as I walk towards it. When I open it Christina is on the other end. Her eyes puffy and red. She looks like she hasn't slept in weeks and she makes sure to bump my shoulder as she walks past me. "What happened to him?!" She asks automatically screaming at me.

I give her a straight face holding my stomach as we stare eachother down. "Look I don't know. Ight?"

"Don't lie to me Damai. You and that bitch was who he left with before he showed up dead, so I'm gone ask you this one more time. What happened to my husband?!" She gets in my face staring at me with hate, her eyes bridging with tears.

I sigh. "I told you I don't know Christina," I continue to lie. "Me and B left the club alone. He wanted to stay, I don't know what happened to him after that. But you know he was like a brother to me and I'll figure out what happened to him."

She cocks her head back wiping her tears. "Like a brother to you?" She repeats. "Yeah okay Damai. Just know that you or that bitch won't get away with that shit. Me and my daughter will have revenge for what happened to him."

"Then you'll be looking in all the wrong places because we didn't do it."

Christina glances down at my hand that's against my stomach observing the way I look like I'm in pain. "Watch your back." Was all she said before walking away.

I follow her outside watching as she climbs into her car. Finally noticing the black truck parked on the other side of the huge drive through. I limp over and the car drives up meeting me. When it rolls down Ozias is in the driver seat and Ruby is in the passenger seat. Relief fills me and I can't believe I'm seeing them for the first time in four years.

"Get in." Zy demands looking around outside.

I nod climbing in the back seat. Ruby wastes no time speaking first. "So what went down the day before yesterday?"

I sigh tossing my head back. "East got on some jealous shit and started trippin. I wanted to fight but Brooklyn ain't want that so I dropped it. Looked away for one second and he pulled a gun on me. He shot me. So I shot back. One of us made it out and the other didn't. I made sure Brooklyn left before me. I didn't know she got caught till this morning." I explain.

"Fuck!" Zy yells out smacking his hand down against the steering wheel. "All this shit for what? For what?" He repeats his voice beaming throughout the car.

I couldn't bring myself to tell him to full story. Cause the more I'd reveal the more it'd all fall on me and B. They'd look at it like I brought trouble to her once again. I can't tell him that we started robbing people together. They wouldn't look at her the same, shit it's bad enough she stole from them. If they found out she was stealing from others and that's the true reason that she was with us in the first place then that might be another grudge for them to hold against her. They could always understand but that's a risk I can't afford to take.