Close To You

"Why do stars fall down from the sky every time you walk by? Just like me, they long to be close to you," (The Carpenters, Close To You).

Riker's POV

The air got slightly awkward and Scarlet spoke up. "Well, it was really," she hesitated, "nice," she forced, "running into you." She cleared her throat hinting for me to pull her away.

"Right," I said quickly. "Let's go," I said pulling her towards a table.

"I'll call you," Damian called back. Scarlet ignored him and sat down next to me at a table next to the window.

"He was," I said trailing off.

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that," she apologized.

"You never told me you dated someone," I noted trying hard not to sound accusing.

She cleared her throat, "I guess it just slipped my mind, I'm sorry."

There could have been an awkward silence but I changed the mood by taking her hand and smiling. "So how does it feel to be back in New York?" I asked looking out the window at the amazing city.

"It's not home but it's pretty amazing," she finished with a smile.

"Is it?" I flirted looking into her eyes. She looked at me and blushed.

"I'm really glad you came along," she said.

"Me too. This is perfect," I said.

We were interrupted when Scarlet looked up and shot me a warning look. I smiled, laced my fingers with hers and waited for the right moment to look behind me.

"Scarlet!" someone shouted. Scarlet stood and hugged a tall blonde woman.

"Hey, Amy!" she greeted.

"Hi Scar. Is this your boyf-" she froze when I looked up at her. "Scarlet?" she asked still staring at me.

"Yes?"

"How come Riker Lynch is sitting at your table?" she asked straight faced.

Scarlet glanced down at me and smiled, "Amy, I'd like you to meet my boyfriend."

I stood up and shook her hand, "Great to meet you, I'm Riker."

"I know!" she exclaimed as both her hands touched my face. "You're my little sister's favorite," she told me.

I awkwardly chuckled trying to ignore her strange actions. "Awh tell her I say hi," I replied.

"Oh, I will," she promised. She turned to Scarlet and gave her a wide smile, "How did you not tell me your boyfriend was Riker Lynch?"

Scarlet ignored her question and simply giggled at the sight of us. "Alright, Amy. Let's not break my boyfriend."

Amy took a seat next to me and impatiently kept quiet. She obnoxiously tapped her foot on the floor and waited for someone to speak up. When no one did so she took the liberty to do it herself. "Hey, did you see Damian?" she asked turning to Scarlet.

"Uh, yes. I did," she replied avoiding eye contact.

Amy turned to me, "Damian was Scarlet's boyfriend for a year and a half," she informed me.

I nearly swallowed my gum and coughed after her sentence. I tried not to look at Scarlet. She hadn't mentioned nearly anything about Damian, this was all news to me.

"Well this is awkward," Amy bluntly commented in her high pitched voice. She looked around as we kept quiet and pulled a waiter aside. "Hey! Can I have a cup of salted caramel hot chocolate, please? Thank you," she said. She turned to look at us, "Oh, did you guys want something?"